Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Obviously by the title one can imagine that I was involved in an accident today. I was JRA and a lady turned right into a parking spot hitting me in the process. There is no bike lane in this section of town so i was riding in the space between the lane and where the parked cars are. I wasn't hiding in her blind spot but apparently she still could not see (didn't look for?) me. I tried my best to turn into it but still impacted the car (as seen by the damage in the pic). Luckily for me and my front wheel I had leaned my brifter into the door. It looks as if it has just spun a little on the bars. I don't think it is bent because it still functions fine, it is just scratched up from hitting the car and then falling on the ground. The only damage that happened to me was a little redness from impacting the door with my arm (see pic). I was able (I don't know how) to jump off the bike and remain on my feet so no damage to my clothes took place. I'm bringing the bike by the LBS to get a written repair estimate done so I can cover myself for the repairs. If it is indeed damaged she just bought herself a new Ultegra 10 brifter. We'll see how it goes. She told the cops that bike riders should be required to carry insurance just in case they run into a car like what happened to her :rolleyes: (yes, she said that I ran into her, not the other way around). Any suggestions? See pics below...

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
I know this may bring up questions and comments, so I'll ask first. You were riding with the parked cars on your right and traffic on your left. Right? If so, then you were not at fault although she'd like it to be otherwise. Glad you and the bike survived. Someone posted under commuting that they got hit pretty hard in Great Britain and bike is wrecked. Anyway, hopefully the Ultegra is good to go.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's where I was riding. The police officer is well aware of this as well so I figure that I'll be fine as far as the fault goes. I saw that other post this morning and am glad that I didn't produce a repeat of that.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Your not at fault! Dumb Driver!

MTBRBrian said:
Yeah, that's where I was riding. The police officer is well aware of this as well so I figure that I'll be fine as far as the fault goes. I saw that other post this morning and am glad that I didn't produce a repeat of that.
What was her reaction to all this? I would be pissed if she was not more apologic and more concern about the damage to her car? You could of gotten seriously hurt? Go to a doctor for that injury and LBS to repair the bike. Have her foot the bill. If not, Sue!

If she was very apologic and nice, I wouldn't waste my time?

·
Registered
889 Posts
You've got the right of way, regardless. The only likely scenario that a cyclist would be at fault is if you turned into her, which would pretty much have to be on purpose.

I think you should make her get you a new Garmin Edge 305 HR/CAD for your pain and suffering!!

By the way, I hope you got all her info, including insurance!!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Glad you're ok- I still don't understand how people clipped into a bike can manage to get off before disaster strikes... (unless, of course, you weren't clipped in)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts