Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new carbon wheels are getting alot of mileage driving around in the delivery van. I live in a small town 30 miles from the depot and often won't deliver. I sat home all day waiting and they never showed. usually they say no one is home, however, the security camera never saw the truck. This is becoming a SOP for fedx. Maybe they will feel like delivering them tomorrow.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Fedex can be a pain in the ass... When I call and ask them to hold a package for me to pick up, they tell me they won't do that until a three failed delivery attempts. Seems crazy to me when I am certain I will not be home when they attempt, but for some reason, they think they need to drive my package around in a truck for three days and have it handled a bunch of times and make me wait to get it.... i don't get it

UPS is funny but not near as bad - they have to make one delivery attempt before they will hold it...

as an alternative, you CAN just have the package delivered to the Fedex branch location and they hold it there for you without making any delivery attempts. TO do this you have to use the FedEx location for the shipping address

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
padawan716 said:
Don't drive and pick them up. They're supposed to deliver them, if they don't, then not providing the service you paid for. Threaten legal action.
Good idea. Take them to really, really, really small claims court. Meanwhile, they have the guy's $$$($?) wheels and I bet they are "inadequately packed". The less time they spend in transit, the better.

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
I have had so much bad luck with shipments these past 6 months.. My specialized Alias saddle was delivered next door.. left between 2 doors for 2 days before the driver remembered where he left it.. I called the day it was delivered and nadda..

messed up boxes..

4 day late computer + monitor..

list goes on...

Good luck getting your wheelz

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sorry to hear you got hung-up with your FedEx shipment. I happen to be acquainted with Fedex policy, and you can shift any shipment that is already in transit from residential delivery to Hold at Location (there is no charge for this... and FedEx does not have a policy of making three delivery attempts before shifting to Hold at Location).

It seems like there was a communication breakdown or miscommunication with FedEx customer service. If a delivery attempt cannot be fulfilled within three attempts, then the shipment will be held at the local service center while phone attempts are made to contact the customer. During this period, the recipient can contact FedEx and arrange to pick up the shipment at the Hold Location. If no contact is made within the prescribed period (I think 3-5 days from commit date), then the shipment will be returned to the customer.

So... if the wheels were shipped Fedex Express, you can call them this second and have them put on hold (unless they are already on the road for today).

·
J24
435 Posts
I had so many problems in my business with both FedEx and UPS either losing shipments or delivering to wrong addresses, that we now use onlyl USPS for 2 day or more delivery and DHL for overnight.

The most bizarre experience was a first overnight FedEx package, that was clearly addressed to an attorney and law firm in New Orleans that for reasons FedEx can't explain was delivered to another law firm in Dallas. Odd but fortunate coincidence was that one of the Dallas attorneys was an old law school friend of the N.O. attorney and unasked, courteously forwarded my package on their firms account.

FedEx acknowldged the error, admitted that my package was correctly addressed, and agreed to credit my account, which they never did.

G

·
Maybe they didn't deliver your wheels because they were too busy dropping their drug shipments off at various locations.

Who has time for delivering wheels when you've got a drug ring going.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Fedex Austin sucks!

Used to screw me over regularly. Worse case was when a valuable painting was delivered to the wrong apartment address. Try wrong building, wrong apartment #, and wrong complex. And this was suppose to be a signature delivery. So I'm home all day waiting and waiting and checking their website tracking. I'm shocked to find that it's been listed as delivered. Call Fedex and want to know where the package is. I'm given the location where it's supposedly at. I go there and start knocking on the door. Nice lady says she didn't have a Fedex delivery. Go back home and call the originating shipper and tell him Fedex lost the painting. While I'm on the phone I hear a knock at my door. It's one of my neighbors with the painting in hand. She tells me that she heard a knock at the door and when she opened it this package was on her doorstep. I check the address out to see if the sender made the mistake. Nope...it was Fedex all the way. How sorry is it was a delivery guy can't even list the right location where he made the delivery? And just dumps the package at the door without waiting for an answer. Funny... I've never had this type of problem with UPS.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I sold a frame to a buyer that was never delivered by Fedex. I still have the receipt and it was signature required but was somehow "delivered" to the address. Fedex claims it must have been stolen after delivery and that they are not responsible once delivered....nevermind that it was never signed for. I had also paid for $500 of insurance on the package and I never saw a dime from Fedex. I'll never go back.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
yater said:
I sold a frame to a buyer that was never delivered by Fedex. I still have the receipt and it was signature required but was somehow "delivered" to the address. Fedex claims it must have been stolen after delivery and that they are not responsible once delivered....nevermind that it was never signed for. I had also paid for $500 of insurance on the package and I never saw a dime from Fedex. I'll never go back.

and you gave up after what you just wrote? no wonder you're unhappy.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I work in the transportation/overnight-delivery sector. No company (FedEx, UPS, DHL, USPS) provides 100% service.

Unfortunately, and for many different reasons (aircraft or vehicle failure, sort facility breakdown, inclement weather, bad addresses provided by the sender, poor packaging provided by the customer, or performance failure by the transportation company), 1-2% of all shipments fail... many of these will be late on the day of commitment, some will arrive a day late. A good way to evaluate the service provider is to gauge their response to these inevitable failures: do they provide status reports and make strong efforts to recover as quickly as possible.

Many independent surveys are available online... but overall, FedEx and UPS service is fairly compatible, while DHL ranks much lower (especially on domestic U.S. shipments). In fact... DHL is contracting big-time in the US and shifting a lot of its transportation to UPS.

With these companies delivering approximately 10 million shipments per day, we need to look at overall performance and not characterize an entire company by a single incident.

Hope Bigwaves gets his wheels-

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
FedEx, or FedEx Home?

FedEx proper (air, ground) ain't so bad.

FedEx Home? The Devil's spawn. Problem is, it's not a proper operation. It's some odd subcontracted independent contractor nonsense. Often, you can't arrange delivery or depot pickup through them. Worse yet, failed deliveries simply sit in some loser's driveway until he gets sick of it sitting on his truck and RTS's it.

Pesky for bike stuff. Criminal for wine shipments.

·
getting older
290 Posts
I've had a mix of good and bad... most recently was an impressive experience by FedEx and I even think it was their FedEx home subcontract or whatever service.

I had ordered a 24" LCD monitor and was at work when the first attempt was made - no surprise. Later around 6:30pm, I am eating dinner with my wife and an unfamiliar minivan pulls up in our driveway. A guy gets out and I walk over to the front door to meet him. He says - glad to see you're home, I was on my way out to a restaurant and thought I'd take another chance on delivering this monitor. I was incredibly impressed - I kind of wanted to tip the guy, but thought that would be odd and I didn't have my wallet nearby in any case.

At a different address (and probably different delivery person), I had FedEx pull the attempted to deliver crap. Two people were home all day plus an easily excited dog who knows the sound of FedEx and UPS trucks. The order was 4+ large boxes, of which all but one were delivered the following day - I was verbally told the last one was in transit, but online tracking said they were all together. I'm assuming they all didn't fit and that's also why they blew me off the first day.

I consider shipping to be like flying - a necessary evil without any obvious good choice.

·
Registered
236 Posts
w4ta said:
I work in the transportation/overnight-delivery sector. No company (FedEx, UPS, DHL, USPS) provides 100% service.

Unfortunately, and for many different reasons (aircraft or vehicle failure, sort facility breakdown, inclement weather, bad addresses provided by the sender, poor packaging provided by the customer, or performance failure by the transportation company), 1-2% of all shipments fail... many of these will be late on the day of commitment, some will arrive a day late. A good way to evaluate the service provider is to gauge their response to these inevitable failures: do they provide status reports and make strong efforts to recover as quickly as possible.

Many independent surveys are available online... but overall, FedEx and UPS service is fairly compatible, while DHL ranks much lower (especially on domestic U.S. shipments). In fact... DHL is contracting big-time in the US and shifting a lot of its transportation to UPS.

With these companies delivering approximately 10 million shipments per day, we need to look at overall performance and not characterize an entire company by a single incident.

Hope Bigwaves gets his wheels-
2% of 10 million is still 200 thousand.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.