Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any company still make these? I have a steel frame that I love. It came with a carbon straight blade fork and after 12 seasons I would like to replace it with something similar. I can find them with some rake, but not straight. As I am used to the wheelbase I have now I how long will it take me to get used to a fork with some rake to it?

Some background. I am a small female rider and typically log 4-6K miles a year. This is my main bike and has served me flawlessly since the day I bought it. I am embarking on a 32 day transcontinental (US) in July.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Small female rider and Wound Up forks don't mix. It's a very stiff fork. I've ridden one in the past and as a large male rider, it was harsh. Straight forks look cool and can be built to ride well but as others said, a curved fork can have the same overall rake as your straight blade (the rake is in the crown) and not change the wheelbase or handling. I have an old Shaklee GT that's being restored at a frame builders shop and he's making me a threadless 1" steel straight blade fork for about the cost of a Wound Up.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,497 Posts
I sympathize with you Breeze. I had to replace my straight bladed aluminum fork on my '89 Schwinn Peloton. I found the Profile Design 1", straight bladed, threadless, carbon fork at my local velo swap.

I'm trying to find another similar fork to put on my Japanese Paramount. eBay sells a nice chrome, threaded, straight bladed fork for about $80.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Straight blade forks typically still have rake amounts similar to curved forks. It's just designed into the fork differently.
Also, curved forks may be more compliant than straight-blades but it actually depends on the design and construction of the fork.

If your budget is tight Nashbar has 1" threadless and threaded carbon forks for less than $100.
Some here don't like Nashbar but there are plenty of reviews and buyers seem to like them.
Nashbar - Road Bike Forks

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That Profile Design is what I have now. But my shop guy and I can't seem to find one.

Other posters bring up a good point about fork rake. Looking at my bike I can see that it's true the fork isn't straight from the head tube. Will take that into consideration.

Looked at Wound Up. Out of my price range.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Like others have said (I think), the straight blade is simply aesthetic. What you need is to determine the rake of the fork you have (it probably says so on the steering tube) and buy a carbon fork that has the same rake. If you do that, the wheel base should be identical.

The hard part is finding something with a 1" steerer tube. About the only company still making them is Ritchey. They appear to be nice forks and go for around $200.

I just completed a long search for a replacement fork for an old Litespeed bike that I love. I always wanted a Reynolds Ouzo Pro and found one on ebay that looked brand new. It replaces a Look HSC2 straight bladed fork that I've always felt is a bit of a noodle. Both are 43 mm rake. I looked hard at Wound Up, but they only come in 40 and 45 mm rake. Does 2 mm really make a difference? My LBS fit guy said yes, so I passed on the Wound Up. Check out the Ritchey fork.

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
I had to replace my straight bladed aluminum fork on my '89 Schwinn Peloton.
Typo crept in there. That would be a '99 Schwinn Peloton, like mine (only mine has an Easton EA30 fork).

FWIW, I do have a Wound Up Road Fork with fender eyelets and 1" carbon steerer available. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
How about a straight-blade steel fork? Soma and All City both sell nice steel straight forks for about $100, or you can buy a nicer Gunnar one for $300. IMHO, steel forks ride just as nice as carbon and the extra weight is not that important.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.