Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have talked with several crossers who say that you should always buy a cross bike at least one size smaller than your road size, others say no, that you should buy the same size, who's right, and why?

·
Registered
148 Posts
1 more option

A local guy,2 time age group national champ,rides 1 size bigger than his road bike,so add that to the choice...He likes the longer front center and the bigger triangle for shouldering.

I think it is a personal choice and only you can decide,after trying different size bikes.

dan

·
tdiclub Member
394 Posts
some ideas

1) one size down; to compensate standover height/bb height, to be able to fly on and fly off the bike with ease. Also shorter reach for a short intense race may be helpfull.

2) same size roughly. If you a comfortable on your set up now, general same dimensions can work.

3) I dont buy into these set black and white statements. Your most likely buying and new frame with new geometry. It seems evey year I adjust my saddle height +/- .5cm and to and fro +/- 1cm. My road frame and three cross frame are all roughly the same 53.5- 54.2cm. Just be carefull with the "tallness" of ridleys, I seen too many buy "their" size and feel the frame is gigantic.

What do you ride now? What's the geometry? Stem length, saddle offset and reach (saddle tip to bar center)? Do you have a pic of you on your current bike? And what are your preferences/ needs; alot of seat post extension, short stem, compact frame, spacer police, pure asthetics, ect...?

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kannas said:
1) one size down; to compensate standover height/bb height, to be able to fly on and fly off the bike with ease. Also shorter reach for a short intense race may be helpfull.

2) same size roughly. If you a comfortable on your set up now, general same dimensions can work.

3) I dont buy into these set black and white statements. Your most likely buying and new frame with new geometry. It seems evey year I adjust my saddle height +/- .5cm and to and fro +/- 1cm. My road frame and three cross frame are all roughly the same 53.5- 54.2cm. Just be carefull with the "tallness" of ridleys, I seen too many buy "their" size and feel the frame is gigantic.

What do you ride now? What's the geometry? Stem length, saddle offset and reach (saddle tip to bar center)? Do you have a pic of you on your current bike? And what are your preferences/ needs; alot of seat post extension, short stem, compact frame, spacer police, pure asthetics, ect...?
I'm riding a Specialized Allez Triple road bike with a 58.2cm TT and 58 cm seat tube. It feels good on the road, but I feel like I am reaching a little bit for the drops, which is okay and actually comfortable on the road, but I wonder if a 56-57 would be better off road, for the reasons you mentioned above...thanks for the advice

·
Registered
813 Posts
physasst said:
I'm riding a Specialized Allez Triple road bike with a 58.2cm TT and 58 cm seat tube. It feels good on the road, but I feel like I am reaching a little bit for the drops, which is okay and actually comfortable on the road, but I wonder if a 56-57 would be better off road, for the reasons you mentioned above...thanks for the advice
I ride a size smaller. I like the lower standover. I rode a same size bike that felt huge due to the raised BB and the standover was crazy. I would compare the standover on your current bike and try to find a cx bike with similiar standover height. The smaller size feels more manueverable.

jb

·
Registered
405 Posts
My $0.02

My last cx was a C'dale 05 and I went a size smaller (I ride a 54cm road) only because of standover (C'dale cx sizing is kinda screwy) and t/t was same (54cm)
B4 that a size L Giant TCX w/ 58cm sloping t/t if memory serves and shorter stem
B4 that a 55cm Lemond steel w/ 55cm t/t
Measurements between saddle & stem were same on all 3. I preferred the handling of the TCX to the rest, was this geometry or stem length ?? dont know but it felt right, all of them fit but some "feel" better - you need to find what fits and feels good, nothing textbook.

I have been a racing roadie for 20 yrs + so stretched out feels right to me, my 54.5cm road bike has a 13cm stem and the seat slammed back with 9cm drop between seat and stem and it feels great, my cx rigs have same but 1cm less all round.

The current trend of bars turned waay up must make holding the bars whilst shouldering very awkward, I keep mine parallel or close to for this reason - gives me an easy and comftable grasp when running full tilt. just my 2 cents

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
well I always first shop bt TT length

and I try to find one that is roughly the same as my roadie. (around 59.5-60 C)
then I try to find a frame that has ST length and stadover that fits with some room. since bb's are higher and tires thicker that usually equates to 1 -2 CM smaller in ST length.
Shop by TT and fit from there. So for me, the new Ridley's to get a TT to fit I have to buy to tall a frame so they are now unfortunately not on my 'fit list'

·
Registered
405 Posts
atpjunkie said:
So for me, the new Ridley's to get a TT to fit I have to buy to tall a frame so they are now unfortunately not on my 'fit list'
Sounds to me like your gonna have to forgo the next few mortgage payments and get yourself a pair of custom Rich Sachs, there simply is no other alternative.

Surely the wife will understand your predicament right ? :) :)

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
why you gotta torture me like that?

as I would if I could. (actually I don't think I would as in waynes world terms I'M NOT WORTHY) and considering his workload and turnaround time I'd feelI'mkeeping one of his rides from a faster guy. plus though I love his scheme,if I was going 2 custom I thinkI would go powder blue and orange a la Gulf GT-40's and 917's.

didn't someone here have a Hot Tubes done in similar scheme?

http://www.gt40.org.uk/Gallery/Gulf.htm

so due to my guilt for the thought of eating up E Richies time which would be better spent on a faster rider I'd probably choose another builder.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Tend to agree, Mr Sachs does amazing work thou I'd have a hell of a time justifying 5 grand in frames and I doubt I could wait 2yrs for them - I'd go nuts! I'm bad enough when the LBS has me waiting 2 weeks for a set of tyres.

Those Vanilla's of Shannon Skeritt (sp ?) look awesome - love the white paint and matching fork. Would def go custom steel if $$ allow. Maybe one day.....

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I'd go Zank or Sycip

Vanilla's are too pretty for me. Sycip because I'm originally from Sonoma county and Zank cause I like that guy and his work.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Just saw Zanks work today

atpjunkie said:
Zank cause I like that guy and his work.
Had not heard of him before, how much do his frames go for do you know ?

Vanillas - simple, elegant, subtle yes but too pretty ? horses for courses I guess.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Vanilla Simple?

have you seen those custom drop outs with the V? them bikes is pretty

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
my oint exactly.

Gripped said:
How about a unicorn drop out? Almost got one. Decided to be practicle.
now where the hell is the simplicity and subtlety in that?

·
100% torqued
766 Posts
Good call.

Great color choice. I think it is one of the few combos that wears dirt and grime from racing beautifully. They look faster and more classic with a bit of oil and dirt on the paint.

I have always liked deep green and whites for that reason as well. The old British racing green Jags with hardwood steering wheels and black numbers in white circles looked great as they wore on.

·
Registered
405 Posts
alright ya got me there

atpjunkie said:
now where the hell is the simplicity and subtlety in that?
Was not aware of his erm "unique" dropouts, too much for me. Mighty purdy tho'

I was really referring to the lack of intricate lug work which I am not a huge fan of for a cx bike, they look beautiful but IMHO belong on a classic steel roadie or fixed etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts