Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine had a slight mishap and now his left leg is 9/16" shorter than the right. He's been complaining that it screaming at him. I suggested some sort of block between the pedal and his shoe. Right or wrong?

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
I have a 8 mm discrepancy between my legs (left leg is shorter). I used to put an additional foot pad in my shoes to help with this, but that made my shoes fit tight.

So with my new bike I decided to fix the problem properly with Lemond Lewedges. I ended up using a whole box on my left cleat, and it's solved most of the problem. It allowed for 6mm of spacers (could still use a couple) under my left cleat and I'm much more comfortable because of it. My right knee used to get a little sore after rides, that's no longer a problem.

Considering it's a little more than 1/2" if your buddy doesn't mind spending a little money, he could take one of the Lewedge's (which ever pedals he uses) and have a machine shop make a thick spacer out of delrin plastic. That should be easy using 1/2" sheet of plastic. Heck with the right tools you could do it yourself. You however would need to pick up some longer bolts to get it to mount to the shoes.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
from Andy Pruitt...

Your friend shold get Andy Pruitt's "Complete Medical Guide for Cyclists". He recommends a shim thickness that is less than the leg length difference, combined with moving the cleat forward on side with the short leg and/or back a bit on the long leg.

Pruitt uses no shim at all for length differences of 6mm or less, only cleat repositioning.

·
Outward Bound
60 Posts
www.hscycle.com is the way to go. (long)

I too have a leg length discrepancy of 13mm. I had various problems associated with the condition, lower back pain, a constant feeling of the short side leg reaching, foot numbness, etc. And as I've aged the problems started to become worse.
I then drove all the way out to Andy Pruitt's Colorado Sports Medicine facility to see if he could help solve the problem. They recommended I put a 6mm shim under the cleat on the short side, but most of the problems persisted.
So one day I'm siitting around thinking about the problem, and I started thinking about the idea of using different size cranks on each leg. Have the short side use a shorter crank, etc. So I called Pruitt's Center and asked them if they had ever tried this solution, they recommended I contact Tom Slocum at High Sierra Cycles. He took a long detailed history of my problems, measurements, type of riding characteristics etc. I then agreed to try his methods.
About six weeks later his custom designed adjustable crankset arrived with these mounting instructions;
First the short side crank is 170mm, long side (drive side) 180mm
Keep the 6mm shim under the left cleat.
Move the right cleat 4mm back toward the shoe heel.
Lower the saddle 6mm.
Now one would think that after having pedaled thousands of miles over the years that applying all these changes would feel real weird, at least that was what I was expecting.
One mile down the road I couldn't believe it, everything felt more in synk, smoother, the feeling of reaching almost entirely gone. And over the months my back pain has gone away. Over the months of using the cranks we have made some minor adjustments, but basically we have stuck pretty much to the original specs.
After having settled on the final design I received the permenant cranks built to my exact specs. This is after probably using the adjustable ones for over 7-8 thousand miles of testing.
Now his services are not cheap, but for the way I now feel riding, everthing smoother, balanced, no back pain, I just can not recommend Tom Slocum's services highle enough.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Shiming help me

I was diagnosed with a 3/8" leg length descrepency about 10 years ago. I was having lower back pain for years. The doctor suggested putting a heal pad in my shorter leg's shoe. I found that I needed to place two to make up the 3/8". For my bike, I use Look pedals and found that their cleats are about 3/8" thick. I just bought longer screws and modified a cleat and installed two on my shorter leg's shoe. I found my pedal stroke to be much smoother. My back, while it still aches a little, is about 90% pain free :thumbsup: . Not bad for about $10 worth of stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.