Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I had a revelation. I was riding with no hands and, i realized that my right leg kept pulling me to the right of course. I was having to lean left far more too compensate. Is this a fluke? Is this a common problem? Is there anything I can do to test if im right. And lastly if I am right how can I fix it?

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
It's common...most people have a dominant side which can be noticed by which hand you write with. That hand tends to do a lot more work than your other hand and thus is generally stronger than your non-dominant hand.

Same goes with legs, even in something like cycling where you think both legs are doing equal work.

Which leg do you start out with on the first pedal stroke? That's probably your dominant leg (though not always for several reasons). Or which leg do you generally start a sprint with? Again, probably your dominant leg.

You can minimize the discrepancy with some single leg pedaling on the weaker leg, but chances are you are always going to have a dominant leg.

Also remember that our bodies are not perfectly symmetric. Myself...My left leg is a good 1cm shorter than my right, most of which is in my femur length which means I have different cleat positions from left to right and I have a full CM of spacers under my left cleat to raise my leg up. This could also be part of your problem and you might not even notice it because it's not that severe.

Anyway...dominant sides is normal and nothing major to worry about. As I mentioned before, single leg work with your weaker leg will help balance things out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.