Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Put a new set of Vredestein Fortezza tubulars on a set of rims yesterday.

Headed out for a ride today, about 25 miles from home, thinking how much I iliked the tires, great ride, solid on the corners, soft ride, etc.

Turning to head for home - BAM - like a rifle shot.

Threw a new tire on the rim and came home.

The damn tube is holed right at the base of the valve stem.

One ride and done, a lot of money for 25 miles.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
:eek: Yikes! :eek:

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Improper mounting?

toomanybikes said:
Turning to head for home - BAM - like a rifle shot. The damn tube is holed right at the base of the valve stem.
If that hole was not in the sidewall, then it sounds like you didn't mount the tire properly. If the glue job is not done right, the tire will creep around the rim and litterally pull the valve stem right out of the tube, tearing a hole at the base of the valve stem. Was the valve stem canted off to one side when you removed the blown tire?

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Kerry Irons said:
If that hole was not in the sidewall, then it sounds like you didn't mount the tire properly. If the glue job is not done right, the tire will creep around the rim and litterally pull the valve stem right out of the tube, tearing a hole at the base of the valve stem. Was the valve stem canted off to one side when you removed the blown tire?
Straight as an arrow.

I know that statiscally there are going to be bad units in any production process - but geez, pricy for 25 miles.

I will replace the tube and give it another shot - so early in a tire's life to have to be mucking around like this.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Oh I've got 30 years on tubulars, I like them, they work. Gluing and mounting is pretty much a no-brainer, etc.

Why don't I switch? I'm old and cranky and fixed in my opinions, etc. Actually all of my wheelsets ( most) are tubular.

All that said, I have never had this happen before and my gripe is really just that I spent $70 to throw on a nice new tire and now I have to put a new tube in it, after just 25 miles!!

D#mn!

·
What the Hell is going on
4,992 Posts
Is it repairable?

For some odd reason I still hold on to a set of tubular wheelset. Love the ride . . . yada . . . yada. . . sucks when you have a flat . . . yada . . . yada. I'm cheap so I repair my toobies. I usually do it when it's rainning or when I've got nothing else to do.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
What's the name of that guy in FL that repairs tubies??

Sounds like a good job for him!

M

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
That is a rare thing to happen with a tubie. I've ridden conties (sprinters and comps) for 10+ years and have had no probs, and very very few flats.
That is great news. I am awaiting the arrival of my first tubular wheelset and I did a buy-it-now on eBay for 6 Continental Sprinters, 4 new in box and 2 lightly used ones (<300 miles) with 4 tubes of glue (2 new, 2 opened) I got everything for $150 so compared to retail I figure I got a pretty good deal, the wild card was whether or not these will serve me well. I did some research and it seams that the Sprinters are a good all around tire, pretty puncture resistant and still relatively light.

Any tips to keep these going strong? How many miles can I expect out of a set? Do you use any slime/sealants?

Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts