Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took the past week off of my bike. I needed to get some business handled, and I probably needed to lay low for a couple of days as well. Still haven't found a new job yet, still working at the old one. But I do have some positive leads, and have been interviewing quite a bit.

Anyways, any recommendations for getting back on it? When I stopped riding last week, my fitness had been declining for a 3 week period, after being race-fit for the month prior to that. I know I'm not race fit right now, and a couple pounds heavier too, probably.

Any tips on easing back into it today?

· Registered
5,844 Posts
I always find that I ride better after having to take some time off my bike. I tend to ride a lot, 4-5 days/week, and sometimes overtrain. Inevitably my legs are always fresher and stronger after not being able to ride for a while. The only recommendation I would make is to start out easy and warm up well before pushing hard, but that's good advice for riding at any time.

· GIMME MY BIKE!
7,787 Posts
ashpelham said:
I just took the past week off of my bike. I needed to get some business handled, and I probably needed to lay low for a couple of days as well. Still haven't found a new job yet, still working at the old one. But I do have some positive leads, and have been interviewing quite a bit.

Anyways, any recommendations for getting back on it? When I stopped riding last week, my fitness had been declining for a 3 week period, after being race-fit for the month prior to that. I know I'm not race fit right now, and a couple pounds heavier too, probably.

One week? ONE WEEK!??!

Just get back on your bike. You don't lose much in one week. Try being off your bike involuntarily for three weeks, then come talk to me. :(

· Registered
4,838 Posts
ashpelham said:

You will find you have more power and energy.

Enjoy the new found fitness.

· GIMME MY BIKE!
7,787 Posts
bas said:
How much longer before you can get back on?
I've been back on for about two weeks now. Spent the first week spinning really easy on the trainer, the second week attempting to do whatever my body would let me, and now I'm ready to start training again this week.

I can only ride hard for about 30 minutes before I start having serious pain, which is really limiting what I can do on the bike. I did a 11.1 mile (or thereabouts) TT this past weekend and didn't do all that shabby (top of the lower 50% of the field), so I'm getting there.

· Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
vonteity said:
One week? ONE WEEK!??!

Just get back on your bike. You don't lose much in one week. Try being off your bike involuntarily for two years, then come talk to me. :(
fixt to reflect MY reality.

Ugh.

1 week is peanuts. Are you following a plan at all? If you're not, go easy for the week, then go back at it. You'll probably be better next week...

If you ARE following a plan, don't stress too hard unless this was a build week towards one of your A goals. That'd be the time to go back over the schedule and see what needs fixing.

HTH,

M

· Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. My plan is simple, but there is a plan to each year. In the months of December and January, I'm simply buidling. Just riding because I love to. Bundling up and plugging away. In February, serious interval take off, and I do these in increasing intensity and duration. In March, I'm racing, and the same for April.

I had planned on racing well into summer this year, and then coming down off fitness highs at this time, and beginning another build for an event in mid-August.

Life changes everything.

Job losses, big bills, and other "fires" that need to be put out take precedence.

But I did get out for a quick hour ride today. It was nice, comfortable, and I didn't feel bad at all. Not the RUSH of power and adrenaline that some expect, but not the tense, struggling feeling that I had anticipated either. Probably going to ride each day this week, and do a near century on Saturday.

· Registered
107 Posts
feel better

I try not to take more than a week off, but sometimes when I have too much stuff to do and take a week off of the bike, I get back on and feel better and stronger. I think it has something to do with the muscles healing and coming back stronger.

· Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it might have worked. I rode on Monday, pretty easy pace, about 18 miles or so. Took about an hour.

On Tuesday, I signed up for the Tues Night Worlds, here in Birmingham. I wasn't going to go hard or long distance, but I did anyway. Know what? I felt pretty strong. Finished with the top 5 in the local sprint zone, after a 1 mile climb. Not too bad. Toward mile 30 of 40 though, I started feeling the heat and punishment, and I limped in. Didn't have much left in the tank at all. But no soreness today.

In my case, the week off seemed to help.

· Registered
106 Posts
I'm doing my first Tri in 3 weeks and we are going on vacation next week so training is going to be difficult next week. I figure I'll have one week to get back into it and then it's race week so I'll have to cut back. Icould probably use so time off I've been going at it pretty hard for the last 6 months.

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I took 6 months off. October to April. Prior knee problem was acting up again, and by time it got cleared up it had been three or four months off and it was frigid out, so I just kept not riding.

Bad idea in hindsight. Would not repeat. (Sucks getting dropped by people you used to ride with).

· Cat 6
4,696 Posts
Try a cocktail of EPO/HGH (1:1 ratio w/2 parts tequilla) and a nice chaser of platelets.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Good luck...can't imagine a week would do much...probably help more than anything for some physical/mental recovery. Personally, 4 weeks off from an injury and then 3 weeks riding only upright on the trainer was no fun...one week should be nada.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.