Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this year I rode in an organized 100K with about 3600’ of climbing. Not a huge ride but definitely a day’s work for me. I can’t get over the fact that on the way I passed more than one person riding a unicycle. They looked to have been built on 29er wheels, although I didn’t get a close look tires, drivetrains, or brakes. Seems like they had to be direct drive; isn’t that part of keeping your balance on one wheel?

One unicyclist I passed was a good 30 miles into the ride, beyond a 1/4 mile section of 10% grade followed by a 1/2 mile downhill. I kept wondering, “How does this guy climb or descend on that thing?” I guess it's possible he walked the grades, but in that case he'd have walked almost as much as he rolled. I should have asked, but I didn't want to be the 100th person bugging him with the same questions.

In another case I saw the unicyclist had a two-wheeled partner on whom he could lean at stoplights so he didn’t have to dismount. Maybe the others had partners also. But I doubt there was any leaning or towing while the team was in motion.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I've seen them mountain biking too. WTF?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I've seen them out and about around here on both road and MTB routes. From watching them it appears they climb leaned way forward, and descend leaned way back.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
I've ridden one... It's like surfing or juggling, once you get it, once you defy your brain wiring and make the leap, they are very cool and very controlled. I can't imagine MTB or serious miles though... That's crazy and pretty damn cool. You keep yourself upright and balanced with your pedal resistance, forward or backward. I don't think that made sense... Hard to explain. I'd love to play with one more.

·
Huge in Japan
456 Posts
I rep'd you for admitting that it took 30 miles to overtake a unicycle. Good for you, admitting this is the first step. We will be here for you any time you need some support.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
They looked to have been built on 29er wheels, although I didn’t get a close look tires, drivetrains, or brakes.
For long distances, many unicyclists use a 36-inch wheel. Drivetrain? Direct drive. Some have brakes, but not all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.