Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After not being on a bike since 1989, I got back on one this year. I had enough of being inactive and the weight I gained in my years idle since the marine corp. One day, i got fed up, impulsed buy a cannondale R500 (since my last bike in 1989 was a cannondale).

I have lost 30 pounds since feb, ride over 100 miles a week. train in different heart rate zones and all that, changed my diet, quit playing on my computers (except to surf for bike stuff). My last accomplishment was riding up Mt Diablo in my area. it took me 4 hours, and I had to walk more than ride the last mile, but I made it.

By November I will be ready to reward myself with a new ride. I plan to spend 2000-3000 dollars. Not a lot for some of you, but I am only a teacher with a family in the bay area. You know, the place where starter homes are 450k.

Of course, the lower cost of the bike will leave me more cash for upgrades in shoes, etc.

I have made spreadsheets, comparing all sorts of bikes. Some I have to rule out because there is no place I can test ride them (I will never buy without testing again) Such brands as BH, Ridley, Blue.

I have to rule out: Giant, Trek, and Specialized. There is a part of me that wants to be a little different.

So, from my list of Six-13, Synapse, Pinarello Galileo, BH Global Concept l50, Ridley, Scott CR1, Kona Zing Ddelux, Bianchi Virata, Orbea Onix, and Cervelo Soloist Team; I am down to the last 2. Off course this is a pre-test ride phase. But as of now, they appeal to me the most. And they are apples and oranges. All AL vs. all Carbon.

I am not scared off by AL. I dont feel the vibration, road noise, numbness etc. from my cannondale, of course because I dont know any better. ignorance is bliss. I do know my frame is too small, so something that fits will be enough for me.

For riding, I want a bike that I *may* race someday, but most likely just club rides on the weekends. (looking for a club to join also). I would also enjoy I think doing some the big rides in the area, like the rides around lake tahoe etc. My daily rides are training rides, I push it, not just relaxed putting in miles. I have a Kona hybrid for towing my 3 year old daughter for my easy days.

Oh, back to the topic.. Some experienced Pro's and Con's of each bikes after miles of use? Or any of the bikes I mentioned if you think I am selling one short?

Next month I will start test riding them. spending about 3 to 4 months trying them ( in some cases I need to travel 5 hours to test one.)

Thank you for your help, suggestions and flames (old forum troll from online games, I can take it).

· Registered
177 Posts
I am a similar kind of rider. Loved the Synapse 2 Carbon and the Scott CR-1 was very nice too. But the ride quality and feel of the Synapse was heaven. I liked it better than the Orbea. I rode an Opal however, not an Onix. I am waiting for the Cannondale System Six to hit the stores in July. I 'really' want to ride one of those.

· Registered
311 Posts
I rode Cannondale 15yrs ago, stopped riding and got started again maybe 7mo ago

My first buy was also an impulse or comfort buy, I got a Cannondale R700

I then sold it and upgraded to a Six13/Dura Ace

I thought this was as good as it gets until I took a Ridley Excalibur for a spin out of my friends shop, I now ride the Ridley. It absorbs the road a ton better then my Six13

I think the Ridley Excalibur is a great priced bike and rode as well or better as the much more expensive Look 585 and Time that I've ridden

· Registered
1,808 Posts
desmo13 said:
There is a part of me that wants to be a little different.
Thank you for your help, suggestions
If you want a unique bike call Jon. I had him make me a lugged steel bike (2 years ago)that fits me like a glove and delivers the ride quality I asked for. I don't know where in the Bay Area you live, but if you can meet with him a couple of times it makes the fitting process better. He may even go on a short ride with you to learn about your riding style and preferences. I haven't spoken with him in well over a year so I hope the below info (copied from an email he sent out) is still valid.

Tallerico Hand Made Bicycles -bike shop
>
> Tuesday and Thursday 11:00am to 7:00pm >
> Monday, Wednesday, Friday - by appointment (frame building and frame
> work days)
>
> New shop location:
>
> 2127b El Camino Real (enter shop from parking lot around the back)
> Palo Alto, California
>
> 650.464.9085

· Road Bike Review Member
20 Posts
Go with the Orbea!!

I have a Starship Carbon and it rides incredibly. Two years now and everything from ice cream rides to crits to 200+ mile rides with no complaints. They have a lifetime waranty as well. Plus i think they look better.

Good luck!

· Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am worried about the Orbea Onix. I have heard from 2 bike shops that my size etc I would need the orbea Opal, High Modulus Carbon fibre. I am too heavy for normal carbon fiber on the Onix. A 3rd bike shop said it wouldnt matter.

Despite being over weight, I have years in the Marine Corps Infantry, 100+ lbs packs, 20, 30 mile humps up and down mountains. My Legs have stayed with me. Now that I am in better shape, and my heart is allowing to push my legs, I am noticing I am flexing the crap out of my Cannondale CAAD 5 frame.

Addition, today on a group ride there at the end is this very steep, granny gear stand up climb. My rig makes a noise in the rear when climbing in the lowest gear hard, another rider behind me was helping me identify the noise, and he could see the flex and my spokes actually hitting the deraillure. only happens when I am going hard up a hill.

This may not be an indication of frame, but just my fat butt breaking down my bike. When I started on this bike in Feb, I was 265 pounds :) Maybe the rims are giving out.

· Registered
22 Posts
SLOrider said ........"go with the Orbea!" I have 1000 miles on my Onix and it's one sweet ride and the paint job is fantastic. I'm 190lbs and haven't had any flexing problems. If weight is an issue I suggest you not go with the Rolf Vigors (one of the wheel options). I have Mavic Equipes - not the lightest, but really solid. I splurged on some FSA K-Wing handle bars which is the most comfortable I've ridden in 35+ years. Good luck and let us know how things work out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.