Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to admit it but i buy almost all my bike stuff on the internet. Have you folks noticed the cut back in coupons at bikenashbar and big event sales in general? This goes for all of the big 4 internet stores. Last year there was many many more sale than this year. I got a ultegra 10 crank last year for 160 bones....not even close this year.

I'm really surprised.


_______________-
david
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,238 Posts
I haven't paid much attention to prices because i haven't been shopping. What I have noticed is an increase in emails from the on-line stores saying buy now.
 

·
your text here
Joined
·
13,192 Posts
nashbar has cut the real deals, but continue to do their fake deals. they also have a leak in their online CC security right now. so i am avoiding them for teh time being.

i have found good deals through jenson and pricepoint, but no coupons from them. performance did a "double points" for members. i imagine they will do more of that, along with deals on entry-level bikes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,688 Posts
The prices on Nashbar are really high from what they used to be and there are very few real deals. Oh well, I ain't buying nuthin' anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
soiled chamois said:
I hate to admit it but i buy almost all my bike stuff on the internet. Have you folks noticed the cut back in coupons at bikenashbar and big event sales in general? This goes for all of the big 4 internet stores. Last year there was many many more sale than this year. I got a ultegra 10 crank last year for 160 bones....not even close this year.

I'm really surprised.


_______________-
david
Not too surprising with the way the economy is...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,572 Posts
My understanding with a recession is, in retail it makes more economic sense to keep prices lower to move inventory. Can somebody help me with Econ 101?
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
40,916 Posts
I just picked up a Veloce 53/39 10 spd crankset from wheel and sprocket, retail list, $179.99.......my cost.......55 bucks with free shipping. I'd buy from them again to be sure.

Locally they were $159.00
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,193 Posts
I bought bibs from Nashbar 2 days ago

weltyed said:
nashbar has cut the real deals, but continue to do their fake deals. they also have a leak in their online CC security right now. so i am avoiding them for teh time being.

i have found good deals through jenson and pricepoint, but no coupons from them. performance did a "double points" for members. i imagine they will do more of that, along with deals on entry-level bikes.
I did the online search for a coupon and found a big whoop 10%er, did the order and added the coupon and stopped. I picked up a recent Nashbar catalog that was mailed to me and found the bibs $10 less per pair. The comparison between the 2 prices was that it was cheaper to call and phone order the bibs than internet. Yeah I am leary of their 'net hole, I suppose it applies to internet sales only.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Touch0Gray said:
I just picked up a Veloce 53/39 10 spd crankset from wheel and sprocket, retail list, $179.99.......my cost.......55 bucks with free shipping. I'd buy from them again to be sure.

Locally they were $159.00
Sweet! I'm looking for a saddle today, i want the arione with red. I guess i'm paying 150 :rolleyes: ....but i do get a roll of bar tape....whoopie!

Same price with snail mail or phone order.

I'm sooooo glad i built my bike last year instead of waiting for D.A. components over the Ultegra i ended up getting. I am using a DA cassette and chain, so i do have that going for me.

Very motivated this year. 45 and still spinning/

___________
david
 

·
Twitterpated
Joined
·
3,116 Posts
FishrCutB8 said:
My understanding with a recession is, in retail it makes more economic sense to keep prices lower to move inventory. Can somebody help me with Econ 101?
That's what I took away from economics class. Customers still want your product, just not at that price. Keep your production at the same levels, but reduce your price as long as you are covering your overhead. That way you can keep paying your employees. Your employees use their salary to buy goods and services, and the companies who provide those goods and services can keep paying their employees and so-on. That's what we were told in class anyway.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top