Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I am an American living in a foreign country and want to buy some cycling stuff off the internet. Unfortunately, most sites require a U.S. billing and shipping address. Other than relying on a friend, does anyone know of a (safe, reliable) U.S. domestic service that will forward your purchases to a foreign address?

Most of you are asleep as I write this, so thanks in advance...

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
What are you looking for?

I think a lot of high prices in the U.S. are for clothing and components. Most of which are distributed out of Europe. Depending on what you are looking to buy, you should be able to find cheaper prices where you are. Look at Totalcycling.com for example. To import products to the U.S. seems to be the a lot of the cost you pay at the counter. Hope this helps, I hope you find a great deal!

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
I don't know where you live, but I was "that friend" asked to ship something to europe and it was an enormous pain. It was an oversized package, and it was too large to travel with (we were headed to within a few hundred miles of where she lived). The cost of shipping was prohibitive. There was no money saved on the deal.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
What country are you living?

tomato said:
Hey all, I am an American living in a foreign country and want to buy some cycling stuff off the internet. Unfortunately, most sites require a U.S. billing and shipping address. Other than relying on a friend, does anyone know of a (safe, reliable) U.S. domestic service that will forward your purchases to a foreign address?

Most of you are asleep as I write this, so thanks in advance...
I'm a US expat, in London for the last 5 years. Same deal, US issued credit cards but billing address is my UK residence.

In answer to your question regarding a US domestic service, I'd recommend Excel Sports.

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=1

I've dealt with them a few times from the UK and after the first order, where I had to confirm by phone, it's all been done over the internet. No issues and 100% reliable.

Colorado Cyclist used to have an international order service manned by Mario Pons who was a World's Master in the Kilo, but he's gone and they've ended the service so no action for non-US billing and sending card holders.

If the product's manufactured in the US, it's worth emailing their customer service department direct. I've bought from Chris King, Phil and others this way. No hassle either.

A couple of things to keep in mind. Shipping costs from the US to wherever you live are not cheap. Most countries outside of the US have some sort of VAT or sales tax. Further, most countries have import duty on goods coming in from the US.

Example on costs

Invoice total plus shipping from the US= declared value.

Declared value + import duty = taxable amount

Declared value + import duty + tax= your cost.

If you can tell us what country you're in and what product you're looking for, myself and others may be able to help you find a more efficient solution.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Japan

To be more specific I live in Japan, and was hoping to buy a pair of hautacam shoes on closeout off the trek website. There is almost a $150 price difference between the website's price and prices here in Japan...despite the fact that the shoes are no longer made.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
tomato said:
To be more specific I live in Japan, and was hoping to buy a pair of hautacam shoes on closeout off the trek website. There is almost a $150 price difference between the website's price and prices here in Japan...despite the fact that the shoes are no longer made.
There are a number of people on this site living in Japan who may be able to help. I've traveled to Tokyo a bit in the last few years with the view towards working there but outside of work, unless you get a grasp of the basic 80 character set, never mind the full set, it's going to be difficult ordering on-line and most site don't offer and English option.

You might want to try this place in Hong Kong. Pro rider David Millar swears by it, from his time in HK.

Flying Ball Bicycle Co.
201 Tung Choi St,
Mongkok,
Kowloon,
Hong Kong.
tel (852) 2381 3661, 2381 5919
fax (852) 2397 4406

email [email protected]

As for the Hautacam's from Trek, shipping, import duties and taxes are going to eat up a large part of the savings.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts