Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it Sean Kelly? With the monotone? He is difficult to listen to with his 'matter of fact' delivery..."Oh, look, a rockslide just closed the road!" says the other guy, and Kelly responds.... "well yes and the peloton will have to wait a few days while they clear it off. and frank schleck looks pretty strong. with his brother gone, he will....blah blah blah"

I noticed, also, that the two commentators rarely mention Tom Danielson, though he seems to always be there and he is top ten in the GC.. He musta pissed someone off, or maybe Vaughters did...

Excellent to see ole Cancillara shred the peloton just now on a climb, even though he is hours back on GC, he get's The Call, and puts out..

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Man I really like listening to Sean Kelly. I guess I'm more into what he is saying rather than how he voices it. He seems spot on with his predictions and analysis of tactics, etc...Also, I like that he doesn't feel the need to fill every second with commentary.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think that what Sean Kelly says is very insightful, however my wife picked up that he usually prefixes everything he says with "Yes....Well, err, certainly..."

I think he and David Harmon do a good job together.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Gnarly 928 said:
I noticed, also, that the two commentators rarely mention Tom Danielson, though he seems to always be there and he is top ten in the GC.. He musta pissed someone off, or maybe Vaughters did...
Probably to spare him comment about slipping further back in relation to the jersey? He may be hanging on to a top 10, but he's consistently lost time to the leader as things have gone skyward.

TD is 32 and has never lived up to his touted talent. He was supposed to be the next big thing from the States. No wins on his palmares indicated any where near that potential - Austria, Georgia & Qinghai Lake FFS!!

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
31,069 Posts
Gnarly 928 said:
Is it Sean Kelly? With the monotone? He is difficult to listen to with his 'matter of fact' delivery..."Oh, look, a rockslide just closed the road!" says the other guy, and Kelly responds.... "well yes and the peloton will have to wait a few days while they clear it off. and frank schleck looks pretty strong. with his brother gone, he will....blah blah blah"

Excellent to see ole Cancillara shred the peloton just now on a climb, even though he is hours back on GC, he get's The Call, and puts out..
The guys at British Eurosport may have a monotone at times, but at least they are cyclists and know the names of the guys in the race and know about bike racing. As opposed to tools over at Universal Sports who only know about 5 riders names, and guess at everyone else...and can only point out the excessively obvious.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I love listening online to EuroSport. I enjoy all three dudes, especially King Kelly. The two Brits are amusing and knowledgeable and Kelly is great when he does speak - I like how he really analyzes and waits for the pedal-by-pedal guy (sorry, don't know his name) to ask him something.

I watched and listened to them do just about every stage of the Tour. They do great stuff to fill dead air on long, flat stretches. Answer emails, read emails, play games with viewers via email (one was making up funny names with rider names). And they'll ask Kelly some long, multi-part question and give him the time to respond. If you are a cyclist and a fan, I really don't know how you couldn't like these three. Plus, it is fun to sometimes have to decipher what King Kelly is saying:)

I was on vacation for a few days in July and had a t.v. with Versus. Eck! Craig Hummer? I do like Phil and Paul, but I think I like the ES guys more.

And I hardly can make it through the Universal highlights on youtube; the announcers are far too edgy or whatever for me. Right on, Marc. They are definitely tools at Uni.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts