Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pound says NHL test results are meaningless:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/5691852

Since test results are meaningless (unless it's Armstrong) why not just do away with drug testing and let Dick Pound decide who's doping?

Personally, I think this guy is a loose cannon.

·
pass the hot sauce
197 Posts
Pound is an ass.. but probably right.

Pound is an ass and I don't think he does justice to the ideals on which WADA was created. He behaves like an amatuerish bureaucrat and helps foster an environment in which his motivations and agenda (and thus WADAs) are questioned.

Having said that, I think that the NHL is in "circle the wagons" mode. They have an image problem and can't afford a doping scandal. At the same time the players union is only going to accept just so much oversight... so this is an area where the NHL and union have found common ground. I doubt that their monitoring program is credible or effective.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
madvax said:
Pound says NHL test results are meaningless:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/5691852

Since test results are meaningless (unless it's Armstrong) why not just do away with drug testing and let Dick Pound decide who's doping?

Personally, I think this guy is a loose cannon.
where've you been, it's like this in every sport. sport's governing bodies can't be left to do drug testing themselves, it's not in their interest to actually do it seriously so they don't. look at MLB, would you imagine that the MLB frt offices think the bonds affair is a good thing or bad thing for the business of baseball? the nhl and uci are no different. they don't want scandal. that leaves the task to WADA, who invariably is made to be the bad guy for going after someone popular( marion jones, lance). pound may seem like a loose cannon, and he could be more diplomatic, but it's far better to have WADA deciding who's clean and who's not than someone with a huge interest in the outcome.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
blackhat said:
where've you been, it's like this in every sport. sport's governing bodies can't be left to do drug testing themselves, it's not in their interest to actually do it seriously so they don't. look at MLB, would you imagine that the MLB frt offices think the bonds affair is a good thing or bad thing for the business of baseball? the nhl and uci are no different. they don't want scandal. that leaves the task to WADA, who invariably is made to be the bad guy for going after someone popular( marion jones, lance). pound may seem like a loose cannon, and he could be more diplomatic, but it's far better to have WADA deciding who's clean and who's not than someone with a huge interest in the outcome.
This is why WADA and Pound have to be above question. Pound's behavior does nothing but give validity to the arguments of the sporting organizations and individuals. I can see no solution but the removal of Pound and giving WADA a chance to start fresh. - TF

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pound should have proof before spouting

blackhat said:
I don't disagree with anything you said. However, high ranking officials need to be very careful with their remarks. Before making accusations that can impact the career of a professional athlete, or a whole sport for that matter, the official should have some substantial proof. Dick Pound is in too high of a position to be making these types of statements without proof. If the athletes must be held to a high standard, the same must be true for the officials.

And in a related story: "Armstrong seeking disciplinary action against Pound":
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/more/06/19/armstrong.pound/

·
Registered
17 Posts
Flame me if you want...but Pound isn't completely wrong when he makes his blanket statements. Two NHLers tested positive for steriods, one during e off season and one during the season but before the NHL/NHLPA agreement, and the NHL comes out and claims that all the tested hockey players are clean, has to make you wonder what they were looking for and how they are structuring their testing program.

The UCI says it's cracking down on performance enhancement and have been doing this since the "incident" at the tour and out of nowhere comes positive test from David Miller, Roberto Heras, the whole Phonak mess in the last couple of years and now lo and behold the spanish authorities may have potentially found a large blood doping ring involving Saiz and 20 or so riders under the UCI umbrella...didn't Heras ride of Saiz....but I digress

Dick is a dick but these sports aren't exactly helping themselves out. All he is doing is shooting from the hip to try and get the sporting organizations to take the doping issue more seriously. He doesn't need to be diplomatic about it. Love him or hate him, I think he'll be head of WADA until hell freezes over.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
the feud continues...

pound <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cycling/news/story?id=2492418&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines">says</a>
armstrong "looks silly" and "has too much time on his hands". I'd add "is a drama queen" and "craves attention" as well, but that's just me.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Mols138 said:
Flame me if you want...but Pound isn't completely wrong when he makes his blanket statements. Two NHLers tested positive for steriods, one during e off season and one during the season but before the NHL/NHLPA agreement, and the NHL comes out and claims that all the tested hockey players are clean, has to make you wonder what they were looking for and how they are structuring their testing program.

The UCI says it's cracking down on performance enhancement and have been doing this since the "incident" at the tour and out of nowhere comes positive test from David Miller, Roberto Heras, the whole Phonak mess in the last couple of years and now lo and behold the spanish authorities may have potentially found a large blood doping ring involving Saiz and 20 or so riders under the UCI umbrella...didn't Heras ride of Saiz....but I digress

Dick is a dick but these sports aren't exactly helping themselves out. All he is doing is shooting from the hip to try and get the sporting organizations to take the doping issue more seriously. He doesn't need to be diplomatic about it. Love him or hate him, I think he'll be head of WADA until hell freezes over.
Sorry but did I miss something?

When did Millar fail a test? He admitted to EPO when arrested by the police but was not positive, indeed the control missed his EPO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
ultimobici said:
Sorry but did I miss something?

When did Millar fail a test? He admitted to EPO when arrested by the police but was not positive, indeed the control missed his EPO.
ultimobici:
my bad on the Millar thing...got ahead of myself on that one...but it does go to show that the UCI couldn't catch him and he was the friggin world championship at the time, I believe!

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
Pound should take his ego somewhere else. WADA has become a joke. Pound uses it as his personal fiefdom.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Wow, I thought the NHL folded a couple years ago and OLN was just showing reruns. ;-)

All the insults directed at the Dick Pound are deserved but it doesn't change the fact that his statements, subtracting the hyperbole, have largely been true and since WADA has assumed control of testing people are definitely failing more tests.

Despite all his attacks on cycling he's really doing them a favor going after other sports because it highlights that cyclists aren't the only ones who dope. People never want to hear about their favorite sports heroes being dopers so over time the backlash may eventually take the cycling doping issues off the front burner for the media as well.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
you said "dick pound" he, he, he...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.