Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, like an idiot, and against the advise of everybody who knows way more than I do about this stuff, I rode my bike way farther than I normally do (the really sad thing is it was only 50 miles, a quick sprint to the coffee shop for some of the guys/gals on here). Anyway, the last 15 miles or so suuuuuuuuucked.

I think it was a combination of things, really. The only thing I had had to eat before the ride was a small slice of cheese cake and some milk. Didn't bring any food w/ me cause I wanted to be super hungry when I got back and and finally get my money's worth at an all you can eat place. All I had was 3/4 a bottle of gatorade or w/e. Genius.

Also, I think my bike fit may be off. My back was pretty sore when I got home. Could barely keep myself up on the bike for the last few miles. Can't wait to see how I feel tomorrow... ugh. I fail.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and I felt (steel sorta feel) really dizzy and nauseous when I got home... Any recommendations as to what to do about that?

·
Registered
567 Posts
MWPDX said:
Oh and I felt (steel sorta feel) really dizzy and nauseous when I got home... Any recommendations as to what to do about that?
i think your first post answered this question. :idea:

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't do it again?? Or go to an all you can eat place?

·
Descender
1,940 Posts
Eat and hydrate properly next time. Further cheesecake is not the ideal pre ride nutrition - you probably had a major sugar crash. Once you sugar crashed you had no gas in the tank while excercising - further depleting any reserves you may have had stored up.

Also - are you in shape to go 50 miles? If not this just compounds the other problems from the first sentence

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pdh777 said:
Eat and hydrate properly next time. Further cheesecake is not the ideal pre ride nutrition - you probably had a major sugar crash. Once you sugar crashed you had no gas in the tank while excercising - further depleting any reserves you may have had stored up.

Also - are you in shape to go 50 miles? If not this just compounds the other problems from the first sentence
Not sure... I'm pretty skinny (more so than I'd like to be actually :blush2: ) and fairly active. I mostly use a bike instead of a car for transportation but it's mostly way shorter trips. Or at least with more/longer brakes. So yeah... not sure.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Erm.... I went out for 4 hours plus one day on a group ride with a few friends when all I've been doing is some smaller rides.

But, I brought food. Muesli bars actually. And, we topped our bottles up along the way.

My legs were toast near the end of course.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Best to bulk-up on carbohydrates the night before a long - for you - spin. The favorites of many are pasta - linguine, fettuccine, ziti, spaghetti, etc. Then, perhaps, a couple of eggs and toast for breakfast. Carry 2 (even 3) waterbottles on board and have a couple of your favorite energy-bars on you somewhere. I like the granola ones. They digest slowly so the energy derived doesn't peak fast and vanish.

Happy (Long) Trails!

·
Old enough to know better
720 Posts
Sounds like you pretty much bonked and hit the 'wall'. Like others have suggested your mileage should be increased in a more gradual manner. Try to eat more and / or better before longer rides. Take more to drink and something that will replace all the stuff you loose as you ride, be it gatorade / accelerade / whatever. FWIW I like to take the little 8 oz can of coke with me on longer rides and drink that at say the 25-30 mile mark of a 50-60 mile ride. Also I ve found fig newtons, and peanut butter and banana sammys are instant rocket fuel for me. You were ill prepared and as a result you suffered.

Remember fool me once shame on me, Fool me twice ...............wont get fooled again!

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
I don't think the mileage was the problem as much as it was just poor nutrition. Everyone is a little different, but if I eat a good breakfast (non-instant oatmeal w/whey protein, yogurt, peanut butter), then I can make 50 miles on just some calories in my drink. Though, I always carry food with me for a ride that length- just in case I start to feel the least bit fatigued.

You'll figure out what works best for you- take this as a learning experience as to what doesn't work for you.

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
MWPDX said:
Divorce.

·
I love to climb!
2,045 Posts
MWPDX said:
Don't do it again?? Or go to an all you can eat place?
Definitely, do it again. No reason to not do longer rides just because you didn't do this one properly. Just make sure to fuel properly ahead of time and during the ride. You just bonked from lack of fuel.

I'm no expert on the nutrition side of things, as I tend to just eat whatever I feel like whenever I feel like, but as for post-ride nutrition, I tend to find a small snack after the ride beneficial, then have the all-you-can-eat-buffet a little later rather than right after the ride.

·
I didn't even own a cat..
594 Posts
not eating was the biggest issue as everyone said. You can still eat before a ride like that and still get the most out of the all you can eat place. I've heard that a report says for every 3miles you ride, you burn 100 calories. So riding 50mi, you just burned 1600 calories (give or take). Eat and drink during your ride unless you have enough stores in your belly to keep you going.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
MWPDX said:
Also, I think my bike fit may be off. My back was pretty sore when I got home. Could barely keep myself up on the bike for the last few miles. Can't wait to see how I feel tomorrow... ugh. I fail.
I would expect some tension/soreness in your lower back at the end of a much longer-than-normal ride. It's probably not your fit so much as your fitness. I get it a lot at the early part of the season each year as I get back into shape. A really long or really hilly ride will leave my lower back really bothering me in the early going.

It's especially likely to be your fitness if you find that stopping and standing up straight (or even leaning back) makes it feel better. That generally means it's your hip flexors (which reach around from the front of your leg to your lower back) and they get tired and crampy easily late in a ride when your other muscles start to wear out and you begin to depend more on pulling up on the pedals to keep going.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bikeboy389 said:
I would expect some tension/soreness in your lower back at the end of a much longer-than-normal ride. It's probably not your fit so much as your fitness. I get it a lot at the early part of the season each year as I get back into shape. A really long or really hilly ride will leave my lower back really bothering me in the early going.

It's especially likely to be your fitness if you find that stopping and standing up straight (or even leaning back) makes it feel better. That generally means it's your hip flexors (which reach around from the front of your leg to your lower back) and they get tired and crampy easily late in a ride when your other muscles start to wear out and you begin to depend more on pulling up on the pedals to keep going.
Yeah, I definitely stopped a lot to stand up and felt better like you said, although I have spiky platform pedals so I don't think I was pulling up on them that much... Everything else you said seems to fit though.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Proper nutrition before and during the ride are probably the most important things you can do to ensure a good ride.

As for the distance, 4 hours should be something most people could do if they don't ride hard for the first 3 hours. But you must eat and drink.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
We've all done it to varying degrees. It is a well learned lesson on balancing nutrition to ride duration-intensity.:) Let your body rest up 2 days. That level of stress can leave the body susceptible to colds so go easy on yourself.

Some weekend warrior type buds I know will go hard doing a century, double century weekend. Come mid-week guess who's calling in sick and whining about another cold. They still don't grasp the correlation after many years of this. Ride hard, get sick 3-4 days later, like clock work. Their other issue is they fail to realize they aren't 20 year old's and pushing their body has consequences. :idea: :frown2:

:)

·
Registered
223 Posts
A minority report here---if you were really nauseated near the end of the ride, it is more likely from dehydration than from lack of fuel. Lack of fuel will certainly make you bonk---tire out and slow down--but those electrolytes and liquids are even more important!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts