Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my NOS Record 10 cranks with Chorus BB.
When cross chained small/small, the chain rubs the back side of the 53t chainring.
I realize I should not cross chain but is this normal.
I have not checked the chainline but don't see how I can move it. Are there shims available? If so, where? Or is because of the 9sp chain?
Thanks

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
pigpen said:
Except it is on a Ritchey SwissCross with fairly long stays at 42.5cm or so.

woundn't really call that "long"... 9s chain might be contributing a little. think about it, on a 10s crank the rings are slightly closer together, you're using a wider chain, and on top of that you're cross-chaining. prob lucky to only get rub in the smallest cog

·
RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,457 Posts
My Chorus 10 chain has hit the inside of the 53 when on the 12 on 3 frames, including it's current home, on a 58 cm Sequoia w/41.8 chain stay. Previously on a 56 cm Sworks Tarmac w/40.5 chain stay.

Same with '08 record group 53/12 on a 56 cm '07 Roubaix SL w/41.5.

It would be nice to be able to settle into that gear... I think of the racket as my cross chain indicator. I'd like to be able to switch that indicator off. Like in the cockpit when the darn gear warning is blaring - I just want to turn it off, cause I'm trying to land the darn plane!

·
Registered
505 Posts
FatTireFred said:
9s chain might be contributing a little...
yes.

i see the same issue with my c9 chain and 10s cranks. goes away with a 10s chain. don't cross-chain and don't worry about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts