Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why when there are such good open tubulars like vittorias, veloflex etc do people
still ride with michelin, continental, hutchinson etc regular clinchers?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,416 Posts
Because cotton tires puncture easier and because they can rot because of wetness.
Nylon tires resist punctures more, and aren't bothered by water. Vittoria and Veloflex "open tubulars" make good race tires, but are "weak" as a training tire.

·
Registered
21,526 Posts
Simple answer

peabody said:
why when there are such good open tubulars like vittorias, veloflex etc do people still ride with michelin, continental, hutchinson etc regular clinchers?
Apparently, it would be because we are all too dumb to figure out the wisdom that you have perceived. Or maybe it's because, in practice, there is no functional difference between Vittorias, Veloflex, Michelin, Conti, Vredestein (I wouldn't put Hutchinson in the same class). It sounds like you should be telling us :)

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
DieselDan said:
I've always thought that "open tubular" was nothing but a snobby way of saying "clincher".
That's exactly what it is. any cyclist who knows shyte from sinola wouldn't use such advertizing hyperbole. An "open tubular" is nothing more than a term dreamed up by a marketing person to sell more expensive tires to poseurs.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Dave_Stohler said:
That's exactly what it is. any cyclist who knows shyte from sinola wouldn't use such advertizing hyperbole. An "open tubular" is nothing more than a term dreamed up by a marketing person to sell more expensive tires to poseurs.
Not eactly, an open tubular uses a high TPI count (290+) and its' tread is glued on (just like a tubular). There is a difference in ride quality and rolling resistance, apparently many on this board are not aware of...
A Michelin Pro Race is $50 and so is a Vittoria. Not sure where you shop.

·
Registered
21,526 Posts
It is scary

Mr. Scary said:
Not eactly, an open tubular uses a high TPI count (290+) and its' tread is glued on (just like a tubular). There is a difference in ride quality and rolling resistance, apparently many on this board are not aware of.
You apparently have bought the hype. The construction details of any given tire are up to the manufacturer, and there is NOTHING, repeat NOTHING, that defines an "open tubular" as being different from a clincher. You can build either a clincher or a tubular with high or low thread counts, and with nylon or cotton (or in the old days silk) casing, and "cold process" or hot vulcanize the tread. Open Tubular is just a way to convince the buyer that a given tire is similar to a tubular. Whether it is or not.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Open tubular = high quality, high tpi, foldable clincher

Diesel, Dave and Kerry,

I agree. I got in a ridiculous argument about this same topic here several months ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts