Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is too rich. All those Tylerphiles, etc.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jun06/jun26news2

And to top it all off, the Spanish Elite men's race was cancelled because then didn't want the harassment.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road.php?id=road/2006/jun06/spain06/spain063

Mods: This is a ProCycling Discussion.

So, what holds next for the Tour de France? Not just the possibility of suspensions, protests, and denied entries but what if everyone showed up and raced anyways?

See what I'm getting at? We have the possibility of a clean TdF! Does this change your picks? Who is going to be good?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Spunout said:
So, what holds next for the Tour de France? Not just the possibility of suspensions, protests, and denied entries but what if everyone showed up and raced anyways?

See what I'm getting at? We have the possibility of a clean TdF! Does this change your picks? Who is going to be good?
I wish I could share your optomism. Its more likely that the dopers that haven't been caught will ramp up there doping in an effort to get a result.
If that hamilton stuff is true, given what he's been saying, tyler would sink below virenque depths. Always wondered why he lived in spain, even though he didn't race for a spanish team. Hay,wait. Come to think of it, there were a few others who did that.........

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
A clean TDF? I think its gone too far for any hope of that happening.... but, if the Guarda Civil reveals the list of names during the TDF, there is a good chance we'll see a French rider in the top 5 ... you heard it here first folks!

Philippe

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good call that anyone not living in Girona will now have a sporting chance in the event. But who is your French rider? Moreau? The new National Champ? It is amazing to think about how the standings could be totally scrambled if this would results in a truly even playing field. But sadly, we see evidence of full doping programs and a negligible positive test rate.

I do comment that there have not been any French implications in this story, very interesting.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Clean TDF? No Chance

I think it is unlikely that we will see this in 2006, much less any other year. It has gotten to the point that I find it very hard to believe that there are any teams in the Pro Tour that are not running some kind of doping program.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Could be another '98....

We could see another stoppage during or prior to a stage, or reported back problems or respitory illnesses.
Big Cloud looming over this year, no doubt.

This years winner will still be Basso, but I think the leader board will be filled with unexpected riders.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I don't keep track of all of the rule changes.

1)Can the TDF prevent certain riders from riding? They could before the ProTour, but can they now?

2) Assume a prominent rider's name is released in an official capacity (not just the newspaper), are they automatically forced (due to the ProTour charter/code of ethics all riders in the ProTour had to sign) to withdrawl from any race they in and go on a form of administrative leave?

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it is up to the ProTour to define participation of Pro Tour teams and their individuals.

CV was excluded because they aren't a ProTour team and were a wildcard invite.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Changes my picks

Ullrich will fold again under the new pressure of the news. Even if he wins, people will think he's a doper. So he loses no matter what. I think Ullrich rides with a heavy heart and doesn't perform optimally. My pick is Ullrich won't matter.

If Basso is clean, then he might shred the field.

Otherwise, this is good news for a clean rider who finished top 10-15 last year. So hypothetically speaking, if you are a Levi Leipheimer and you are clean, then a podium is now a strong possibility. Frenchman in the top 5 is also possible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.