Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

Just wondering if anyone out there has put on a race before, and what steps are involved.

Any advice/help on the logistics of getting a race going would be great.

I've tried the search, but to no avail.

Thanks.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
How many people do you have to help?
What kind of race?

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
mulletrider said:
Hey all!

Just wondering if anyone out there has put on a race before, and what steps are involved.

Any advice/help on the logistics of getting a race going would be great.

I've tried the search, but to no avail.

Thanks.
Contact USAcycling or whoever is the cycling body in your region. They should be able to walk you through the process.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would have one other person helping me with the logistics, and would be able to find plenty of volunteers.

I was thinking of starting things out with either a time trial or road race. Time trial seems like it would be easier. Maybe a time trial series.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
A 20K TT is the easiest.
1) Volunteers are not always easy to find. (at least volunteers who know what they are doing)
2) Find a course with little traffic.
3) You may have to hire cops to have at intersections
4) You will have to rent port-a-potties
5) You will have to get permits
6) You will make little money

·
Registered
128 Posts
Our club just put on our first road race this past weekend. It is a lot of work, especially if there are only 2 of you doing all of coordination.

Here is a resource I found on the internets that is a decent checklist of things that must be done. There are other sites out there with good information as well. Google will be your friend.

http://racerhead.org/vc_site/_fun/x_stories/promoter_series/199901_promo_checklist.shtml

The USACycling website will be your best resource. Go to the Event Organizers section and select forms. There you will find your permit application, insurance forms, etc.

Good luck

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
You definitely need a lot of help.

Get a bunch of people. A couple to find sponsors, a couple to find volunteers, another for publicity, 1-2 close friends to do permits and logistics.

Find a location, beg the city for a permit to shut the area down (with timeframe), pay local association (USAC), advertise advertise advertise, pay for porta-potties, pay for cops, pay for an ambulance

·
Lexicon Devil
964 Posts
My team helped run a time-trial a few weeks ago in order to earn our USAC team certification. It was a ton of hard work, bordering on being a PITA. Many of our volunteers bailed when they found out how early we needed them to be at the course, which forced many of our teammates who had planned on working a corner and then racing, to forgo racing entirely so that the quality of the event wouldn't suffer.

I was at a 'T' intersection all day long and I, and three others, were kept busy with stopping traffic, dealing with irrationally irate drivers, a cyclist who crashed badly when he ran into a cone, and a bunch of other minutiae. My teammates at registration or who had to drive the SAG car endured their own sets of issues.

At the end of the day, though, everything went off well and was deemed a success by the promoter and the local USAC official. We did a time-trial, that was run over a few hours on a sunny morning. I can't imagine the headaches involved in running a road race over a open circuit. Forget that.

However, without people willing to deal with all those problems and all that stress, we wouldn't have racing. I've gained a huge amount of appreciation for organizers and officials , not saying I didn't have any before, but when you're on the other side, you really understand how it goes.

Anyway, if I were you, I'd try to set up a criterium in an office/industrial park or a cyclocross race. Just getting rid of the logistical hurdle of diverting traffic and finding corner workers makes things so much easier.

·
In dog years, I'm dead.
123 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
A 20K TT is the easiest.
1) Volunteers are not always easy to find. (at least volunteers who know what they are doing)
2) Find a course with little traffic.
3) You may have to hire cops to have at intersections
4) You will have to rent port-a-potties
5) You will have to get permits
6) You will make little money
7) Have an EMT & perhaps an ambulance on hand.

I volunteered at a crit this past May - first year this event was held & it was very successful. Many volunteers could only stay part of the time & some also wanted to race. Staff was getting pretty thin by the end of the day, & since I already raced early, I jumped in to fill some gaps. Glad I did - we had a great time!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.