Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tore down frame today and saw what looks to be a decent crack. Sanded into it a bit to see if it was paint or deeper...

This is at the seat tube and BB junction.

Red Pink Carmine Maroon Coquelicot

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Banned
748 Posts

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,429 Posts
Sorry to say, I have to concur with the others here. Unsafe at any speed.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
doesn't look good.

Carbon repair is pretty cheap (compared to a new frame), actually works well unless you have a clown do it, and usually pretty fast. So it's a good option but I'd be concerned that a frame that developed a crack from 'natural causes' might have other problems lurking elsewhere so I might not bother with repair in that case.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I've had Calfee repair a damaged frame and do a restoration. They do excellent work, and have a 10 year warranty.

Hard to beat them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its a 2013 Fuji Altamira CX 1.1. Not sure what happened there... maybe one of the kids got to it.... glad I tore it down though. :)

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Looks like a paint crack to me but hard to tell from the pic. I'd imagine you'd have to sand down to the carbon or xray to be sure. JMO but, I've seen a number of cracks in carbon and have not seen them that straight. Meaning the line to the right of the white part wouldn't be that crisp. Usually it looks more jagged. Hard to explain and taking it in is the only option I'd be satisfied with.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Its a 2013 Fuji Altamira CX 1.1. Not sure what happened there... maybe one of the kids got to it.... glad I tore it down though. :)
If you bought it at Performance, you might try taking it back there, although you may have invalidated your warranty by sanding it down like that.

·
Registered
472 Posts
If you bought it at Performance, you might try taking it back there, although you may have invalidated your warranty by sanding it down like that.
Doesn't matter where you bought it from, Fuji frames have a lifetime warranty for the original owner barring something like crash damage, misuse, etc. But as stated above you likely just waived that by messing with it. They have always been good to me, but are very particular when it comes to the requirements, i.e, photos, receipts, etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts