Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been looking at used bikes for a few weeks but haven't really seen anything that has a decent price. Anyway, I got a local guys selling a 2015 Felt Z85 for $800 which seems to be a good price. I have ridden the carbon version at the LBS and loved it. New - Road Bike Z85 Size 54

I also ran across this Roubaix 2011 on EBay and it seems immaculate for a 2011. I have read the difffer not view points on buying a used carbon bike, but this one seems like it has very low miles for a under $1K.

Specialized Roubaix Comp SL2 - 2011

What are your thoughts on each? The price on the Felt is fine... Just wondering if I should spend more for the older carbon bike.

EDIT: picked up the Felt

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would put a premium on being able to ride the bike. Also, the Felt has the newer 11 speed 105 (5800), where is Roubaix is 10 speed, if that matters to you.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
I haven't ridden the felt but I do like the looks... I have ridden the Specialized, and I'm not fan... no likie... I would buy a TREK over specialized, but that just me :D

With the guy who is local, see if you could coordinate a test ride. The one on Ebay, contact LBS and see if they something comparable and test ride.

·
Shuffleman
678 Posts
I have been looking at used bikes for a few weeks but haven't really seen anything that has a decent price. Anyway, I got a local guys selling a 2015 Felt Z85 for $800 which seems to be a good price. I have ridden the carbon version at the LBS and loved it. New - Road Bike Z85 Size 54

I also ran across this Roubaix 2011 on EBay and it seems immaculate for a 2011. I have read the difffer not view points on buying a used carbon bike, but this one seems like it has very low miles for a under $1K.

Specialized Roubaix Comp SL2 - 2011

What are your thoughts on each? The price on the Felt is fine... Just wondering if I should spend more for the older carbon bike.
First, there is nothing wrong with buying a used carbon bike. Secondly, are they both the right size for you? Remember, no deal is a good deal if it does not fit you.
Lastly, this is kind of a no-brainer. They are both good bikes but I would buy the Felt because it is local and you do not have to deal with any shipping issues. Being able to look at it in person is a big advantage.
Personally, I like Felt bikes better but that is very subjective. Also, as eric pointed out, the Felt has a newer 11 speed groupset, which is nice. It is not a deal maker or breaker but it is nice. I could ride 10 speed or 11 speed with no problems, but having something more modern makes it more sellable in the future.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I would go with the Felt, the Specialized was sold but I just hate the Robauix all together. Z series Celts are really nice riding bikes I understand and the aluminum is a really nice frame.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
How much of an opinion do you really want? Ok here's my opinion...I wouldn't buy either! It's too difficult to ascertain if any used carbon bike has suffered any damage especially since most damage actually goes to the inside and may not even be visible from the outside. As far as ride quality, I've did ride an earlier version of that bike and the Zerk inserts seems to make the bike ride better than a standard CF bike but in the long run could have a more dead feeling? Some people really like that bike and others don't for ride quality. Obviously this bike is sold but something to note for the future in regards to Specialized and other CF bikes.

The Felt is probably the best choice of the two but you would have to check to make sure it was never damaged and bent back, rippled paint would be a tip off, also a lot of people don't like the ride of aluminum either, but more importantly it fatigues faster than any other material so if the bike has been ridden a lot regardless if it was taken care of, or even if ridden a lot by a person who races but only rode it a relative short distance (say 25,000 mile range), like about 2 maybe 3 seasons, it could already be shot. That particular Felt looks like that it may not have been ridden much but you need to try to find out from the seller how much he's ridden it.

Of course I'm going to be called a jackasse for saying all of that but I'm use to it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
for 800 the z85 @ 54 is a steal. Being a owner of one I have no complaints other than stop on your way home and pick up some new bar tape. The white tape Felt puts on their bikes is a POS. Mine lasted like 2 months max before it started pealing..

Otherwise the wheel set for the new models is ehh but people would argue that the older z85s mavic cxp22 are ehh as well. But for 800 it is well worth it and you may even be able to talk a few more dollars off the 800.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well I picked up the Felt today.. It's practically brand new, 2015. Literally hardly ridden. I Barely rode it due to cold weather but I spent some time with the bike fitter in the afternoon to get fit. Rides real nice... Hopefully weather will improve so I can put some riding in.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Well I picked up the Felt today.. It's practically brand new, 2015. Literally hardly ridden. Barely rode it due to cold weather but I spent some time with the bike fitter in the afternoon to get fit. Rides real nice... Hopefully weather will improve so I can put some riding in.

Congrats, I hope you get some riding time in soon.

·
Registered
580 Posts
That is what I suspected, hardly ridden. Really should be a great bike. I have never had any issues with my Felt or the one before it. Enjoy.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
Congrats on the choosing the right bike ... :D

It looks nice, now go and ride like you stole it :thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.