Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a rear wheel 2014 Reynolds Attack rebuilt about a month ago at a reputable shop nearby that specializes in servicing (they don't sell bikes etc). Some of the nipples were corroding hence the rebuild... I haven't ridden it much since the rebuild but noticed a few days ago it had gone out of true. When I took a look at it, I saw some bulging around the spoke holes in the area it had gone out of true. Strange that some are on the non-drive side but I'm guessing it's toast. Was wondering if this could be the result of something during a ride or whether the rebuild either used the wrong materials or wrong tension. Wanted some opinions of various scenarios before I take it back to the shop. What failure modes are there for carbon rims around spoke holes other than spoke tension etc.?

·
changingleaf
709 Posts
I do not believe that rim has angled spoke holes and the non-drive side spokes leave the rim at a greater angle than on the drive side so they press against the side of the rim more. I've seen other lightweight carbon rims with bulges at the spoke holes that were still structurally fine and are still in use. If the spokes did in fact cause a sudden bulge in that area, then I would expect the spoke tension to be lower in that area. If there are not cracks in the rim then it's probably fine. Take it back to the builder to inspect the tension and true it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts