Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the material and machining technology exist to CNC full-carbon, one piece cassettes?

How cool would that be!?! Or would it?...

I'm amazed how much lighter Ti cassettes are, so think of the benefit of full carbon! Pair that with a carbon chain, maybe?

So... just looking to get opinions on this, and if they're already out there, point me in the right direction, eh?

·
Registered
208 Posts
At this point, due to the nature of carbon fibre, there is no way to have it CNC'd.

What would be slightly more possible is having individual cogs made of carbon fibre.. you can get chainrings made out of it, although, they are expensive, wear fast and dont shift great. The weight savings is decent, but not amazing

I agree, a carbon fibre cassette would be awesome, but I dont think it's going to be happening, at least for quite a while

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Wolfman said:
Does the material and machining technology exist to CNC full-carbon, one piece cassettes?

I'm amazed how much lighter Ti cassettes are, so think of the benefit of full carbon! Pair that with a carbon chain, maybe?

So... just looking to get opinions on this, and if they're already out there, point me in the right direction, eh?
Not CNC'd, but definitely a full carbon cassette. You can trust the germans to come up with something like that. http://www.sub-4.de/1902269.htm

Translated:

IT Carbon Cassette / Sprocket 90g

From 39 euros

Technical data, carbon cassette / sprocket

New, now as sprocket only or cassette. The cassette is lighter than [all] others, including the lightest single block aluminium cassettes. Special fibre matrix for enormous lifespan! Despite the tiny weight these cassettes last between 1500 and 2500km, depending on riding conditions and rider weight. Shifting performance is good, if not quite as good as with Shimano or Campag. One of the advantages of this system is the large variety [of sprocket choices] between 11 and 29 teeth. Further advantages is that chains are not worn by it and practically last forever, especially if at the front carbon chain rings are also ridden. Every sprocket is available individually, so you don’t have to buy a whole new cassette when only one sprocket is defective. For Shimano 9/10 and Campag 10 speed.

Weight: from 90g for 11 – 21 teeth
Price: 39euros per spocket

·
Registered
150 Posts
Already have them

There was a bike on the SSW forum that had a carbon cassette. They're light, but don't have much longevity. I think the info I saw said it had a lifespan of about 1500 KM.

·
Unrepentant Mountainbiker
624 Posts
For the metric challanged, that is less than 1000 miles. At the current exchange rate of $1.22 per Euro, that comes out to $47.48 per cog! A ten speed cassette will cost you over $470.00! I will be saving my $$ and sticking with AL cassettes for now. Even TI is a bargain compared to that!

Besides, with the UCI enforcing minimum weight rules for race bikes, the weight savings seems negligable. A Campy Record 10 spd cassette comes in at 188 grams. Sure this is over twice the weight of the CF cassette, but it is also near the center of rotation so the difference in mass is not felt as much as if it were further out near the rim. We are talking about just over 3 ounces here folks!

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
freezin_is_the_reason said:
For the metric challanged, that is less than 1000 miles. At the current exchange rate of $1.22 per Euro, that comes out to $47.48 per cog! A ten speed cassette will cost you over $470.00! I will be saving my $$ and sticking with AL cassettes for now. Even TI is a bargain compared to that!

Besides, with the UCI enforcing minimum weight rules for race bikes, the weight savings seems negligable. A Campy Record 10 spd cassette comes in at 188 grams. Sure this is over twice the weight of the CF cassette, but it is also near the center of rotation so the difference in mass is not felt as much as if it were further out near the rim. We are talking about just over 3 ounces here folks!
A true WeightWeenie gets heart palpitations just thinking about riding a bike as stupendously heavy as 6.8 kgs. Price, durability and reason are things to be ignored. 3 ounces are A LOT of weight for people who will buy cables that are only grams lighter at 4 times the price.

PS: my bike weighs 21 pounds.

·
Banned
7,890 Posts
Wolfman said:

it's something absolutely necessary, whatever the cost will be.. i can't wait.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
I will offer a spare tube to the gods of RBR in thanks. ;) :)

·
Registered
590 Posts
thread is back.

·
Administrator
12,940 Posts
LOL- a glitch in the Matrix.

FWIW- there has been some decent luck with carbon chainrings, but the much smaller sizes of the cassette rings would seem to be problematic- especially seeing there isn't much weigh savings over those AL cassettes (which are really not that sturdy either).

:)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I'm sure plenty of peolple will go out of their way to buy the latest, greatest in weight weenie crap. No thanks, I'll save my money and use it where it's most effective.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,406 Posts
I remember when the hottest thing out was freewheels with aluminum cogs. They would be good for .......say, ...300 miles,,,,tops.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts