Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
It looks reasonable, and the price is right. If you can find something similar with genuine hydraulic disc brakes (say 105), that would be a plus. I have a personal prejudice against Al frames (and a preference for steel). For me at least, it tends to make the ride a bit harsh. But for $1200 I wouldn't quibble. You could have a lot of fun on that bike. When the tires wear out, replace them with 120 tpi. Otherwise good tires. If you can cram a 35mm or 40mm tire in there, it will increase the fun potential.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
The TRP HYRDs can be an issue in cold CX conditions, so I know a lot of people who opt for full mechanical if they can go with full hydraulic.

SRAM Apex as a groupset is pretty durable, but a bit on the heavy side- especially the crank. At that price point, it's about average.

Through axles are definitely a plus.

Aluminum frames are my preferred material for durability. My early/late season-rain-travel-commuter road bike is an aluminum Storck. The wider tires will take the buzz off the road, and at 'cross pressures you won't notice. It will be a bit heavier than most carbon bikes, but a lot probably can be attributed to components (seatpost, bars, stem, crank...).

It really depends on what you will use the bike for. It's a solid package, though.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The TRP HYRDs can be an issue in cold CX conditions, so I know a lot of people who opt for full mechanical if they can go with full hydraulic.

SRAM Apex as a groupset is pretty durable, but a bit on the heavy side- especially the crank. At that price point, it's about average.

Through axles are definitely a plus.

Aluminum frames are my preferred material for durability. My early/late season-rain-travel-commuter road bike is an aluminum Storck. The wider tires will take the buzz off the road, and at 'cross pressures you won't notice. It will be a bit heavier than most carbon bikes, but a lot probably can be attributed to components (seatpost, bars, stem, crank...).

It really depends on what you will use the bike for. It's a solid package, though.
I just want the option to tear up some trails. and take a far different path. It is lighter than my novara. I might even try a cx race sometime.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I would say if you've ridden and love it (and it fits), then it's probably a good deal. It will certainly do what you want it to do (tear up some trails).

I'm personally not a fan of SRAM shifting, but some people love it.

At that price, you are probably saving enough money to upgrade things like the wheels and cranks down the road (if you decide that's something you want to do).

·
Registered
486 Posts
That is nice bike for what you want to do. Pretty good spec for price point. The wheels suck pretty bad, and as others have mentioned, that entire drivetrain is on the heavy side. It would be really nice and much lighter with Force on there. Force 10 speed CX cranks can be had really cheap if you look. Not a fan of those TRP brakes either. They are heavy and a little fussy to set up and dial in. Avid Road BB7 SL's are in my opinion phenominal. Yes I have high end Hydro brakes on my MTB, and for mechanical brakes, BB7's in every iteration are widely praised, and come very close to hydraulics in stopping power and modulation. But forget all that........the first thing I would do is spend a couple hundred bucks on a Chris King PF30 and have a shop press it in. Trust me.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Wow, I'm going to disagree with you about the Hy/Rd. I tried several straight mechanical discs before I went to the Hy/Rd. I can't imagine a disc system being easier to set up. I mean, there is really nothing to it. And for me, the Hy/Rd was better than all of the mechanical systems I tried, with Spyres being the only thing close.

I'm not going so far as to say they are as good as straight up Hydraulic (they aren't), but if you want to use your mechanical brake/shifters, I haven't found anything as good as the Hy/Rd.

Edit: and being 235lbs plus... my brakes are pretty important to me. Honestly, if I hadn't discovered the Hy/Rd, I would have just eaten the cost of upgrading to straight up hydraulic. None of the other mechanicals worked well for me..

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I keep telling you Matt! Get a friggin mountain bike!

You live close to some cool beginner intermediate trails that would be perfect for getting into the sport. MTB is fun!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.