Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On paper this looks like it would be a good cold weather cycling glove. I like the fact that the fleece liner comes out so it can be dried separately.

Any feedback on this glove? How does the sizing run?

Thanks.

·
Ya, what ATP said...!
2,140 Posts
I may or may not have anything to add to this discussion, I'll let you judge:
First off, I have two Craft base layers. I have the no-sleeve and the full sleeve with wind-stopper front and I consider both to be the best part of riding in winter. The Crafties know their stuff when it comes to cold and I would buy anything they made.

Now, lobsters... I don't have the Craft but I do have the PI flavor of them (amfib). I love them during the ride but only on the very cold mornings (high 20s which I hardly ever see and the low 30s which I ride in quite a bit). There is no comfortable medium between ventilation and warmth. Venting to pull sweat away but not so much that the hands go cold. In my opinion and experience, you can't have it both ways. Gloves are marketed to be strong in both but it's bull, you either have cold/dry hands or wet/warm ones. I'd take warmth over venting any day since I never spend 8 hours in the saddle during the winter. I do end up with soaking gloves after 2 or 3 hours but the PI Lobsters are impossible to turn inside out and take about 2 days to dry. In this case, Craft removable liners would be of interest to me and I can tell you that your turnaround time for using the gloves would be a lot shorter. I've tried putting the PIs on after a day and they're pretty soggy. I'd get the Craft.

·
LOOK lover
616 Posts
Fogdweller said:
I do end up with soaking gloves after 2 or 3 hours but the PI Lobsters are impossible to turn inside out and take about 2 days to dry.
I've got the same ones - try setting them in a sunny window, they'll be bone dry by the next day.

Agree w/ everything else the Fog said about having to choose between warm&wet or cold&dry. Above 40F I'll choose the latter, below I'll choose the former.

·
Government Mule
1,326 Posts
I have Spa Sport lobsters. Above 40 they are overkill. Below 30 I line them with jerseys.

·
I Type, Therefore I Am
107 Posts
I don't have any of the above mentioned gloves, just an idea how to dry them. Set them in front of a small fan and let it blow into them overnight. You don't need heat (like a hair dryer), just air. This works great for wet shoes, so I would bet it would work for the gloves too. I have a small (6 in?) fan I bought at WalMart that works great for this on my shoes. Give it a try next time!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've a pair of the Crafts which I use for running and xc-skiing in -10-25c and love them.The best thing is that you can pull the glove liner and put in another if they get wet.The mitt and glove are also machine washable.Wearing just gloves my fingers always freeze,but not with these.

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
Dave in Driggs said:
On paper this looks like it would be a good cold weather cycling glove. I like the fact that the fleece liner comes out so it can be dried separately.

Any feedback on this glove? How does the sizing run?

Thanks.
Craft lobsters are the best I've used. The thumb is soft for all that snot that comes out my nose too!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts