Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious what everyone's opinion is on the Livestrong brand. Personally I think its for a great cause, and I like the yellow and black colors, but many of my friends think that it makes you look like a Lance fanboy.

I'm just curious what you generally think if you see somebody wearing Livestrong gear.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I probably shouldn't. But yes, I usually think its a Lance fanboy. Most of the time the livestrong fanatics I see are more recreational. Rarely do I see racers with much of that brand. And this is coming from someone who loves Lance but the only livestrong item I own is a yellow rubber bracelet lol.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Ghost234 said:
I'm just curious what everyone's opinion is on the Livestrong brand. Personally I think its for a great cause, and I like the yellow and black colors, but many of my friends think that it makes you look like a Lance fanboy.

I'm just curious what you generally think if you see somebody wearing Livestrong gear.
Well, basically both options you just mentioned. I have one of those yellow and black Livestrong cycling uniforms and when I wear it some of my fellow riders joke around about it. I don't really care, I like that uniform makes me feel faster.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
4,605 Posts
If you want to help the fight against cancer, Buy your gear at discounted prices and donate what you saved to a research organisation or a hospital.

I receive regularly requests for donations like those.

Make sure the organisation you chose actually spends the money on fighting the cancer and not some media circus.

·
Master debator.
8,846 Posts
A casual friend showed up with a Livestrong helmet, jersey, and socks etc. to a group ride this spring. He sat there and took a lot of **** for it. He just took it in stride, and finally the LBS owner who was leading the ride told the assembly that the guy was a big Livestrong fan, and that he'd just lost his wife to cancer a few weeks ago matter of fact. That pretty much quieted the stupid talk for the day.
And really, it's still much better than the neon colors from the 80's that you still see people wearing yes/no?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I dislike the Lance fanboys, but if Livestrong gets people to donate who would normally give nothing, then I'm all for it. Who am I to judge - I don't give everything that I could to good causes, and I know you all don't either.

- Dan

·
Registered
426 Posts
You got it

Mootsie said:
It will forever be linked with Lance. Some like that, some don't, but that is the reality.
that's it in a nutshell

·
Masters Neophyte
2,236 Posts
When I see them, I don't automatically assume "LA fanboy"- I assume one of two things; LA fanboy OR a supporter of The Cause.
As such, I would never give a rider wearing Livestrong gear a ration of $#*%

I love the colors- and may still buy a set of bibs to match my Lion of Flanders jersey... but I probably won't- because I don't want everyone to assume I'm a Lance fanboy.

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
I asked a checkout dude with a livestrong bracelet if he was an Armstrong fan, cyclist or new someone with cancer and he didn't know what I was talking about. When I pointed out the bracelet he told me that he got it from a friend and thought it was cool.

·
Registered
84 Posts
As we all know, Livestrong is created by Lance. However, the mission of the Livestrong foundation is amazing and definitely should be supported whether you like Lance or not. This is about the fight against cancer and not an individual. It just happens that this is one of the more well known foundations.

I'm all for Livestrong and if you buy the jerseys then more power to you. The money goes to help the victims of cancer, their family, and research.

·
Administrator
13,146 Posts
Also remember the Trek/Livestrong U25 team (with Phinney/King(s) et all) is very popular among anyone who has met the kids on the team. Go Ben King! (US version, although the aussie seems nice too . . .)

·
Administrator
13,146 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
A doctor funded (almost exclusively) by Livestrong in his cancer research kept my grandmother alive long enough to meet my kids who she had never met before.

For that reason, and many others, I am forever a Livestrong supporter. I have on the original band I bought the very first year. I never take it off. I can't believe it hasn't broke, but there must be some reason.

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Regardless if one purchases their stuff for the cause, or just for the aesthetic appeal, I'm pleased to know that money is going to the cause. Stuff looks great, but I only went as far as one wristband/bracelet, and a helmet (Rift, and probably going to get an Ionos later on). There's just something I dig about Lance wearing the distinctive helmet as if it's like reserved "ad space" solely for the cause, and not the team+other sponsors he rides for.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I work in a hella touristy location, and I see tons of people with the Livestrong bracelets. I always ask If they ride or of they are just supporting the cause. 99% of the time it's the cause. Either way it's hard for me to pass judgment. Those little yellow bracelets mean a lot to people.

To sorta answer the question, yeah I'd sport a Livestrong jersey. They look a hell of a lot better than some of those neon advertisement jerseys. I was sorta shopping for one online last night. And to answer the cries of Fanboy, well, here the most clever insult hurled at cyclists here is "Go Lance!"

I really don't mind:-D I wish I was that good....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Who cares what someone is wearing....worry about yourself. That's my thought about. I'm sure there are other things in life that we do outside of cycling that are the same; we just don't realize it. How would we/you feel if we/you were on the other end of the s*** talking.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.