Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at an old Raleigh Professional that someone is selling locally. He's sent some photos, and it's in pretty rough shape cosmetically, partly due to having hung in a garage for 20 years. He used to race, and the bike has seen plenty of use by the look of it, but it has a mix of Dura Ace (cranks) Superbe (derailleurs) Modolo brakes, and Cinelli bar and stem.

I was thinking of putting the parts on my old lugged steel Proctor, and maybe cleaning the Raleigh up and using it as my fixie, but I may just be getting into a major project just to bring the parts back to life.

He is asking $200, but may take less. Any advise from past experience? Is it worth the effort? The frame looks decent, a bit banged up as you can see in the photos.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have one just like it. Mine is a 1979, it has the same seat stays as that one. It's my daily rider and the bike that got me back into cycling for fun (not just to commute). It's full campy nouvo record and I paid $550 for it on ebay, mine was near mint.
$200 seems like a fair deal, and would make a nice fixy. There is a gal that rides a 74 raleigh pro set up as a fixy on super long rides, PBP and The Death Valley 508. I really like my bike and everytime I go on a club ride the old timers get a kick out of it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
$200!!?? That would be a steal, no matter what cosmetic condition. The bike looks like a Mark IV or V, probably '77 or '78. I've seen frames selling on Ebay for more. Combine Worksop craftsmanship, Reynolds 531 tubing, and Campy dropouts, you've got a thoroughbred. IMHO not as desirable as a Raleigh Team bike, but a great bike with an outstanding pedigree.

BTW, I paid $700 for my Raleigh Pro and was happy to do so. Of course, it was also equipped with Campy Nuovo Record components and the frame is in pretty clean shape. Still, you could do a lot worse for $200.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Oh, oh, did somebody swoop in and snatch it before Johnny?

I own a '73 with the "fastback" seat stays and the same paint scheme. All Campy NR. These ride very nicely. Oh, and I use Dura Ace spd pedals. Toeclips became unbearably uncomfortable.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fast ferd said:
Oh, oh, did somebody swoop in and snatch it before Johnny?

I own a '73 with the "fastback" seat stays and the same paint scheme. All Campy NR. These ride very nicely. Oh, and I use Dura Ace spd pedals. Toeclips became unbearably uncomfortable.
Yup...I went away over the long weekend, and it was gone when I got back!

Ah well, it was one of those "I don't REALLY need it but..."

:mad2:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
toddf said:
i hate to be "that guy", but I just bought THIS bike. Youre in Vic right?

Todd.
HaHa...Tsawwassen actually...good for you! As I said a few minutes ago, it was a "want" rather than a "need".

Enjoy it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts