Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some lower price bibs than ASSOS and PI Microsensor bibs I usally wear for my spinning classes. I don't want to wear out the good stuff.

How is the fit and chamois? Any other budget bibs to consider?

Now that I am hooked on bibs, they older shorts must go.....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Performance bibs

DIRT BOY said:
I need some lower price bibs than ASSOS and PI Microsensor bibs I usally wear for my spinning classes. I don't want to wear out the good stuff.

The Ultra and Elite bibs from Performance are good values. The Elites can take a pounding. The Ultras are a little more comfy and light, but seem a littel flimsy. Both are hard to beat for the price for trainers. I try and save the ASSOSS bibs for one ride a month, and the centuries.

If you can take knickers, REI put the PI Attack knicker bibs on super sale last week.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
DIRT BOY said:

decent... free return postage on size exchanges

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,318 Posts
I have a pair of the Velowears. The chamois is fine to me. I would like something a little thicker like the PI chamois but it works. The only issue I have is the leg cuffs are loose. Fit is great everywhere else, its just the cuffs that are off. Maybe this part was sewn wrong on mine.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Dirt,

I bought a pair of VeloWear shorts after reading several positive posts, and have been mostly unimpressed with them. While the construction is top notch, the chamois is way too thin for my liking. I find that they've migrated to the back of the drawer and are the last pair of shorts I grab for a ride.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
I really like mine--I have three pairs (my oldest pair is a year old, and look pretty new except for the logos are peeling off. That's fine with me). I don't ask much from my shorts--just that they fit well, hold up, and don't "get" me anywhere. For the price, you can't beat them. I used to wear Performance's Century shorts and bibs, but I feel the quality has really gone down (they're way lighter than they used to be).

People are right that the pad is on the thin side. Personally, I like that, as thicker ones feel bunched to me.

I should also note that the terry cloth, ahem, peenie-pad is strangely placed. In most of my other shorts, it rises high enough to tuck mini me behind it, but on the Volers it's a no-go. This does not bother me, but it's different from what I was used to before.

I've not noticed the leg elastic being too big, so I agree with that poster that he may have gotten a defective pair.

These are not deluxe, luxury shorts. They're utility wear, and as that they're just the thing.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
I like mine and plan on buying more this year. I like them better than the Performance Elites or Ultras I've had in the past. They fit snug (I haven't noticed loose leg openings) and better than the Performance. It might be my shoulders but one strap on the Performance bibs is always loose, not so on the Volers. The pad is fine, doesn't feel like a diaper. I've used PI's and the Volers are just as good IMHO. They aren't as nice as Assos or Castelli but it's mainly in the material and pad. Construction has been top notch. Like I said, I'm satisfied and they are now my workhorse bibs of choice.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
DIRT BOY said:

a++, cheap, fit well, comfy, last a long time. go for it.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Good solid utility shorts

I just wore mine for a century in Death Valley. They worked great. Yes, maybe a little thinner, but far better than feeling like a diaper. They have held up great, fit good, and still look great after hundreds of washings. I say go for it. For the price you cannot beat them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts