Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 5200 USPS Trek, Ultegra
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1983 Vintage: Weinmann AG 500
Would you use them on a vintage build? or would you use something different?
This brake system came with the frame, but I need to service them before setting up the bike.

Thank you in advance,

Tony

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Shimano 600 hubs, MA40 Mavic Wheels, Campagnolo Athena Derailleurs, Sun Tour Chicken Levers, Custom Road Champion SR Drop Handlebars, Campagnolo Clip Pedals, Sugino 170mm Crank, Brooks B17 Imperial Saddle (Antique Brown). 1983 Iron Frame (Not sure of the tubing, but lugged and should be a Bob Jackson if memory serves me right), it might be a Nishiki, (much like an Iron Man Centurion). S/N has me confused.

So, what brakes would you look for as a replacement?

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
If they came with the frame, then use them. Those brakes worked fine; they were just from a different era.
However, if you must replace them, then replace them with Weinmann centerpulls! The only upgrade I'd see would be to standard levers with rubber hoods, vs. unhooded levers with
safety levers.

When I was a kid back in the '70s, my first 10 speed came with Weinmann centerpulls. Foolishly thinking lighter is better, I swapped them out for Weinmann sidepulls like the AG500.
Not understanding anything about brake reach, the Weinmann's came up short, so I judiciously filed the slots so the brakes would reach the rim. They stopped just fine, and looked so
"pro" to this 1970's teenager!

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,432 Posts
Weinmann is another example of a once good brand that became generic entry level stuff later on - like Suntour, Schwinn, etc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
If they came with the frame, then use them. Those brakes worked fine; they were just from a different era.
However, if you must replace them, then replace them with Weinmann centerpulls! The only upgrade I'd see would be to standard levers with rubber hoods, vs. unhooded levers with
safety levers.

When I was a kid back in the '70s, my first 10 speed came with Weinmann centerpulls. Foolishly thinking lighter is better, I swapped them out for Weinmann sidepulls like the AG500.
Not understanding anything about brake reach, the Weinmann's came up short, so I judiciously filed the slots so the brakes would reach the rim. They stopped just fine, and looked so
"pro" to this 1970's teenager!
The 70's were great!
Still undecided about the brakes.
Will clean them up and see how effective they are.
The bike frame came with standard levers with rubber hoods.
Would always remove the unhooded levers with safety levers .(thought they were worthless for stopping effectively. Probably designed by an over-protective mom).
Thank you for the suggestion on the center pulls (Had the center pulls on my 1977 Schwinn Superior. Loved that bike although it was 28 lbs)
Did many 60 mile and century rides on the Superior.
Never wore out the brakes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts