Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my Lynskey r230 for sale since June to no avail. I'm getting offers in the range of 800- 1500 but in my opinion that is not enough for what is invested. Here is the listing in RBR classifieds Custom Titanium Lynskey R230 DI2 ultegra, custom wheelset - RoadBikeREVIEW.Com . Ive had it on craigslist, and ebay for the same amount of time. Have I over evaluated this bike because of the custom geo. I know it will take a specific buyer, but what the buyer is getting frame, components, wheelset etc. 2000 seems fair. I'm pretty sure it would sell faster if I pieced everything out, but I'd prefer to sell the bike as complete. All opinions welcome I'm trying to learn.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,806 Posts
Probably not a bad price, but ultimately the market decides.

The geometry has likely limited your market some, the long head tube just doesn't make the bike "look" fast and I think most folks looking for a Lynskey with all the bells and whistles aren't necessarily looking for a Sunday comfort rider. I think, however, the biggest limitation is you are making it a hassle to ship the bike, so essentially limiting yourself to a local market. Someone will really have to want that to start calling up bike shops, etc.

I would tack on about $50 to the price and offer free shipping. Then you can take it to a bike shop, pay them whatever they charge to pack it for you (I've never done that but I would assume $25 or $30) and then ship it using bikeflights. It will probably end up costing you a little more than $50 to do all that but will greatly improve the appeal of your ad.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
I would part it out. You want it sold, that's how you sell it. Otherwise you're going to take a beating.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have shipped frames only and had no problems. I shipped a whole bike with a bike shop doing the packing and when the bike was delivered there were a few problems the buyer didn't want to deal with and returned the bike. The rear derailleur got slightly misaligned and caused shifting problems which was an easy fix just not for that buyer. I want to avoid all hassles. I have given potential buyers names & phone # of some bike shops if they needed shipping. I guess I might have to part it out and probably put the di2 on the steel frame winter rider I'm looking for. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Have I over evaluated this bike because of the custom geo.
Yes. No many people are looking for a road bike with geo like that.
I'd keep it if I were you. What you get in return, unless you get lucky, will be just a drop in the bucket as far as what it'll cost to replace it goes.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes. No many people are looking for a road bike with geo like that.
I'd keep it if I were you. What you get in return, unless you get lucky, will be just a drop in the bucket as far as what it'll cost to replace it goes.
Its basically the same geo as a new medium 240 except for the extended headtube 15.7 cm to 20 cm. It looks more radical than it is because the steerer on the fork is minimally trimmed. I have been using this bike as my winter/ threat of rain bike since I got the peloton last year with the same di2 and wheel set. I want to fit wider tires and possibly use fenders on a winter/rain bike in steel, but if I don't get this price I'll be using this bike again in the winter. Do you think the price is fair? Thank for your input.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking at the Lynskey site they are running a sale for the r240 frameset only for $1895 and it includes a lynskey carbon fork not an enve fork. I have the lynskey fork on my peloton and it is a nice fork but personally like the enve 2.0 better and cane creek 40 headset instead of chris king. Nice headset but I certainly think CK is a better headset and on the CC 110 level. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
510 Posts
It looks like you spent quite a bit of time and effort to get the bike the way you want it with the right fit of geometry and components. The problem with selling this type of bike is that it's hard to find a buyer that fits your specific bike and is looking for all the same components. I'm sure for someone that just happens to be your size and flexibility, has the budget and is looking for a titanium, relaxed/sportif type bike, your bike would be a jackpot.

Those buyers are hard to come by, and if you wait long enough you might find one. Most of the time, buyers will look at what you have for sale and disregard the value of products that aren't of any consequence to them to make an offer to you. Buyers are probably just looking at your groupset, wheels and components and giving you an offer for that.

If you strip your bike down and part it off, I'd say you would get close to 3/4 of what your asking even without the titanium frame.

Also, it doesn't help that Lynskey is having a fire sale on ebay right now selling new frames with factory warranty. It doesn't have your frame specifically, but still probably doesn't help. Look at this frame here
Lynskey R265 Titanium Road Frame Industrial Mill Black Decals Size Small 32210 | eBay

This comes direct from the factory and will likely sell for under 1g.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It looks like you spent quite a bit of time and effort to get the bike the way you want it with the right fit of geometry and components. The problem with selling this type of bike is that it's hard to find a buyer that fits your specific bike and is looking for all the same components. I'm sure for someone that just happens to be your size and flexibility, has the budget and is looking for a titanium, relaxed/sportif type bike, your bike would be a jackpot.

Those buyers are hard to come by, and if you wait long enough you might find one. Most of the time, buyers will look at what you have for sale and disregard the value of products that aren't of any consequence to them to make an offer to you. Buyers are probably just looking at your groupset, wheels and components and giving you an offer for that.

If you strip your bike down and part it off, I'd say you would get close to 3/4 of what your asking even without the titanium frame.

Also, it doesn't help that Lynskey is having a fire sale on ebay right now selling new frames with factory warranty. It doesn't have your frame specifically, but still probably doesn't help. Look at this frame here
Lynskey R265 Titanium Road Frame Industrial Mill Black Decals Size Small 32210 | eBay

This comes direct from the factory and will likely sell for under 1g.
Ive got the peloton set up similar to the r230 so I thought I would sell the older of the 2, same wheel set, components, etc everything the same. My thinking is yes a buyer can buy the frame on ebay with the clearance of their frames, but then they have to get all the components and all other necessary parts and assemble it to get the bike rolling. This bike is all set up with all very good to excellent parts and is ready to ride. A buyer can literally make a few adjustments with fit, seat height, handlebar, etc and can start riding. Like I stated, the real only custom part of the frame is the extended headtube and very small trimming of the steerer. With that said I know it will take the right buyer. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bought a ML R230 off eBay direct from Lynskey for $558 back in the summer.
Like it or not that really hurts re sale value. Good luck.
Is that for frameset or frame only, does that include shipping? If you got a frame, fork, seat post collar, headset, and shipping for that price you stole it,lol. Remember my titanium frame will have a chris king headset (a top line) enve 2.0 fork (also a top fork) and all the other parts which all are near top of line parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts