Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

First post from a newbie. This is a great forum. Glad I found it.

I am planning on commuting about 10 miles each way and would need to put a rack and pannier(sp?) and possibly fenders. I was initially towards the Allez but the the LBS recommended this bike since we cannot add the rack pannier to the Allez . Link below.

Specialized Bicycle Components

I don't see any type of reliable reviews out there and would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a Secteur, not the same model you are looking at, (I have a 2011 Elite Apex) but I will share my thoughts with you. It is a great bike, I use mine for everything from 10 mile commutes to 75 mile weekend rides. You could think of it as the Aluminum version of the Roubaix, a very good do it all bike. Here is a thread dedicated to the Secteur... http://forums.roadbikereview.com/specialized/no-love-secteur-i-love-my-new-2011-comp-232710.html . Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will do my best to answer them.

SS-

Reactions: Natedogz

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Secteur, not the same model you are looking at, (I have a 2011 Elite Apex) but I will share my thoughts with you. It is a great bike, I use mine for everything from 10 mile commutes to 75 mile weekend rides. You could think of it as the Aluminum version of the Roubaix, a very good do it all bike. Here is a thread dedicated to the Secteur... http://forums.roadbikereview.com/specialized/no-love-secteur-i-love-my-new-2011-comp-232710.html . Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will do my best to answer them.

SS-

Thank you. I will take a look at the thread.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Same comment, I have a 2012 Secteur Comp Apex and enjoy it. A Roubaix is somewhere in the future; however, the Secteur is a good bike. It is not the lightest bike on the block, yet you can do far worst. The Secteur shines as a budget friendly alternative to the carbon fiber Roubaix which it was derived. You receive the benefit of the relaxed frame geometry and comfort with reasonable amounts of performance.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
looks like it gets carbon rear seat stays with Zertz now.... so it should be smoother than my 2010 Secteur Elite.

Sora 9-speed shifters got rid of the thumb shifters (which I loathe on the 8-speed version), so it should be a nice solid bike.

the wheels aren't the greatest, but you can always upgrade them down the road

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
Is it not possible to put Rack, Pannier and fenders on this bike? Would you recommend anything else in particular.

Thanks for all the replies.
it's possible for the rear, but it's not a heavy duty frame made for carrying heavier stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you are still investigating this here is more the type of bike to look at

It has fender and rack mounts and clearance for them.
Thanks for taking the team to look into it. That is a good option. I will try a test ride on it.

Here is another one I tested which really liked. It is a cheaper cousin of the Expert disk compact. I saw a review by a rider with pictures on the specialized website that showed fenders and rack. I am not planning to carry heavy stuff. A laptop and change of clothes (for work) primarily.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.