Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Eager Learner
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My son is 2.5 yr old, and has enjoyed biking with me, on the rear kid seat behind mine. however, he's getting a little big for it - he's tall and must weigh close to 34 lbs or so.

I think (don't know) that's too small/young for a trail-a-bike, or whatever you call 'em.

What options are there?

(In the Netherlands, my cousin takes TWO kids on her bike, one on front and one in the rear. Very well set up for it there.

·
Registered
867 Posts
He is to young for a trail-a-bike, but would be perfect for a trailer. I pulled my kids in a trailer for years and they loved it. Chariot trailers have great models to choose from. You can get a single or a double. Have a look here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My daughter is 4y/o, 34lbs. We've had the Chariot CX for 2 yrs now and love it. Very breathable with plenty of options for shade/tint, rain guards, storage, etc; excellent seat straps and sturdy frame. 4+ hour rides are not a problem. Trail-a-bikes and the Weehoo are not an option for me as I am on full carbon with aero seat post - the Chariot uses a skewer hitch. Strongly recomended w/o reservation.

http://www.chariotcarriers.com/english/html/cx_specs.php?flaID=

·
Registered
79 Posts
40-50lbs is the limit on baby seats. 40 lbs usually so he is getting close. The Topeak seat goes up to 50lbs if you want to keep riding that way for a little bit longer. Next gradual step is a trailer if you want him to ride with you. If it's time to start teaching him to ride, a strider bike is the best current way.

Have fun

·
Registered
128 Posts

I have been pulling my little guy around all summer in this! What a great workout for me and great fun for him.

·
Registered
279 Posts
+1 on the Wee Hoo. It's a great intermediate step between a full in trail-a-bike and a trailer. My daughter loves ours.

·
3,494 Posts
The trailer worked fine for my daughter from about a year up to 3.5 years old, and then she got fed up with being a passenger only. She's had her own "proper" bike from 3 years old and started riding it without training wheels on her 4th birthday, and this gets used around our neighbourhood and on safe trails. We skipped the 12" wheel bikes and went straight to 16" because she is tall.

From just over 4 she also started with the trail-a-bike, which I picked up second-hand off craigslist for not very much money. She was confident with this right away. The only issue is balance where she has a tendency to throw her weight side-to-side and it takes some skill to counter-balance. Due to this, it works much better on the mountain bike than hanging off the back of a road bike! I'm thinking that we'll do some group rides in this configuration when she gets a bit more stamina. I happened to get one with gears which she really likes. It also teaches her road skills and awareness which is very important. I think this trail-a-bike will be good until she is 8-10 years old. The next step might then be a proper tandem.

In the OP's situation I'd wonder if I was going to get enough use of the trailer before wanting something different. It is very kid dependent. Maybe go second-hand since you can later resell without taking much of a loss?

·
Eager Learner
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone! I think the price of the weehoo is a little steep for me right now. I'm seeing some solo burley's go for 50-100 on CL somewhat locally. But the current Burley has better seating it seems. The older ones have just fabric it appears*. Kids find em comfortable?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I use mine here in texas and it is stinking hot! my boy doesnt seem to mind it, every morning he walks over to it and tries to climb in. I have the newer version with a sort of bib that goes over his torso, and there is a 5pt connection for the seatbelts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.