Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find suitable levers to use on a build. Have derailleurs all bought, just need to find some downtube levers compatible with a 10s Campy system.

Do such things exist? They don't seem to. I came across info that Campag stopped producing DT levers in 2001, is there an option for 10s DT people like myself, or am I destined to buy a 9s casette sooner or later?

G

·
There are two options.

You can buy the Campag bar end shifters, remove the bar end pod from the shift lever and you have a down tube lever that will work just fine.

The other option is the one I just did on a new bike, I used the Shimano 10 speed down tube levers and put a Jtek shiftmate on before the derailleur. Works perfectly.

· Registered
2,833 Posts
I have never done this but I am going to try.
I have heard that it works.

Buy the later model shifters and the barcons.
remove the ratchet disk from the 9 dts and replace with the 10 ratchet from the barcons.

Do a search as only one model of 9 dt shifters work. I believe I saw the post in retro/classic forum

· duh...
9,749 Posts
toomanybikes said:
There are two options.

You can buy the Campag bar end shifters, remove the bar end pod from the shift lever and you have a down tube lever that will work just fine.

the only problem with this is that you will be missing the cheap 5c alu stop (round thing with an 'ear' and square hole). you can prob use one from an old set of dt's tho.

as noted, you can get an old 8 or 9 speed dt shifter (1995+ with 3 springs not 2) and change the shift ring, which you can buy for $10... no need to buy barcons just for the ring

note that neither of these options have a friction mode, later campy are not on-the-fly switchable. but another alternative is to go with old friction shifters or (new) ratcheting friction shifters, i.e., rivendell silver. at $38 this is likely the cheapest route. and if you must have the rubberized ends you can use plasti-dip

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies

I'm getting some old shifters on the 'bay which will get me rolling, and give me time (and an alu earlobe :) ) to consider converting bar-ends in the future... the option of indexing would be nice, eventually

I don't want to complicate the setup with one of those Shiftmates, but they look ingenious

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.