Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a fixie. I want a steel fixie, preferably lugged.

I have a gorgeous custom steel frame road bike (Rex), so I'm thinking budget here. I also already have a "ghetto" single, (old road bike with Rennen tensioner, 8sp hub with spacer kit, single crank.)

So, I already know exactly what I want, a nice, mail-order steel fixie. Since I get the Excel catalogs, the Surly Steamroller is exactly what I want, the price is right. I have a ton of parts ready for build so I just want frame/fork.

What else is out there besides the Surly Steamroller? I've seen the PIstas at local shops, but it doesn't 'catch my eye'.

I've also seen the Milwuakee (sorry for the spelling, ;-) ) from Ben's, and I like that VERY much, but not the orange. Show me that frame in another color and I would pull the trigger.

I have my dimensions from my custom Rex and I'm a pretty generic-sized rider, I'm pretty sure I can slip into a 56 or 57 without any problem

Throw me some ideas, looking for new, steel, frames/fork I can just mail-order and get riding.

RR

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
Is this going to be used just on the street or some track racing?

Some good track frames:
The aformentioned Soma Rush or it's budget cousin the Pake
DeBernardi Thron
EAI Bareknuckle

Street fix frames:
IRO Mark V or Angus
On One Il Pompino (cross-ish)

there's others but that's the best I can think of... or just get en ENO hub and use any steel frame.

·
Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Is this going to be used just on the street or some track racing?"

Street, no Mt., no track.

Hilly club rides/daily commuting/centuries. Drilled for racks a BIG plus.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Surly Steamroller isn't drilled for racks or even mudguards (I think). The On-One Pompino is however. Also a steel frame and they have a mail order operation in the states.

My preferred option though - get yourself on ebay and find a stunning 'real' frame. Something from the '80s preferably with classic Campag drop outs. This would probably work out cheaper and you'd have something really special. :thumbsup:

Cheers

Danny B

·
IndyFab girl
71 Posts
RedRex said:
I've also seen the Milwuakee (sorry for the spelling, ;-) ) from Ben's, and I like that VERY much, but not the orange. Show me that frame in another color and I would pull the trigger.
RR
They will paint the frame any color, give them a call. There's an upcharge, I forget how much.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
if you go for the Soma Rush...

I'd order it w/o the fork, I like my frame but not the fork, it is very heavy, poorly aligned, and the brake mount hole is too high...(this on a frame bought new 2 years ago so possibly the fork is better now)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Don't buy one from ebay, then that is just another person I have to compete with when I am trying to find a "real" frame in my price range :) Also I would look into Craigslist if you are on a budget. There are a lot of people selling "awesome Huffy"s, but there are a lot of people selling nice bikes and frames on there. It is basically the garage sale of internet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.