Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new cycling computer / GPS combo and I'm considering options. Currently have a Edge 500.

My list of priorities (in order)
- customizable screens
- Touch screen
- Small form factor (Edge 800 size would be max, but would prefer smaller)
- Maps are a plus, but dont care for navigation

Dont care of other bells and whistles

The Edge 510 fits most of the criteria but I've read different reports on the implementation of the touch screen and I've seen some videos where it doesnt seem very consistent. Edge 810 comes very close but keen to understand if there are other similar in a smaller form.

I'm open to suggestions outside Garmin.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I'm in the market for a new cycling computer / GPS combo and I'm considering options. Currently have a Edge 500.

My list of priorities (in order)
- customizable screens
- Touch screen
- Small form factor (Edge 800 size would be max, but would prefer smaller)
- Maps are a plus, but dont care for navigation

Dont care of other bells and whistles

The Edge 510 fits most of the criteria but I've read different reports on the implementation of the touch screen and I've seen some videos where it doesnt seem very consistent. Edge 810 comes very close but keen to understand if there are other similar in a smaller form.

I'm open to suggestions outside Garmin.

Thanks!
I don't think the Wahoo, Lezyne or other units use touch screens. The Garmin 520 does not, the Touring and 800, 810 & 820 do.

Touch screens are my preference as I discovered with my simple bike computers, I could never remember which button did what. On screen is easier and the screens work with full fingered gloves.

Wahoo and Lezyne are not color screens as well, color allowing better read of the map, IMO.

I use an 810, which can be found for around $280 new, and it has more options then I need, but does mapping and TBT, which is why I got it. The 800 does the same and might be a bit more reliable, crash wise, but doesn't have the BlueTooth, which on the 810 allows instant dump of a completed ride to Garmin Connect via the BT connection to a smart phone mobile app (so you need a smartphone for this). The mobile BT connection also allows a load of a course built in Connect to be readily loaded to the phone. I find the BT sync useful as I don't have to take the device to a computer to do data transfers. The 800/810/820 all do mapping and TBT.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
Any particular reason for touchscreen? I find it not that great a feature. Although sans touchscreen, the 520 is the best computer I have ever used. I'm expecting to use mine essentially forever.

The 820 that just came out is the same form factor but with additional features and touchscreen, I would look into that model.

And of course you should check out DC Rainmaker's reviews.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes thanks, the 820 is exactly what I want, however the price (at least here in Australia) is prohibitive (700$ in shops).

Thinking of going with the 810 at the moment.

thanks

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Srode posted in Hot Deals forum:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/hot-deals/nashbar-25%-off-including-garmin-356547.html#post5065209

Get an 820 for the price of a 520, ends today...
Just checked, they ship to Australia, you will need to pay VAT and any import duties, so not sure what the end price will be - the 25% off is $299 US, and they still have them in stock if you want one and act fast. The sale is probably through midnight Eastern Daylight savings time US.

Garmin Edge 820 Gps Computer

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Personally, I think a touch screen on a bike computer is a terrible idea. That is because, for me, with the amount that I sweat, it just would not work ten minutes into a ride and onward. I know this from my phone which I used to ride with.

If you want something very useful, with GPS, a highly customizable display and easy to read display, consider a Sigma Rox 10.0. I love mine and have always received the best customer support imaginable - this is going back many years and several devices.

It isn't flashy, but I wouldn't trade it for any unit out there regardless of price.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Touch is a non-starter for me as well. Too much sweat. Wet hands, sweat dripping from my head/face, useless in the rain as well.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
how much do you guys sweat really? :D

Torn between the Edge 810 and Edge 510. Dont need the maps but price and size wise there isnt much difference.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Like many things, touch vs buttons is a personal preference thing, I much prefer touch over buttons. Easier to deal with in the Winter with bulky gloves, and when riding hard its easier to swipe I think. Then there's the potential for buttons to wear out where it's a non issue for touch screen.

I've never had issues with rain or sweat using my 510 and I've ridden in downpours, light rain, snow, and dripped plenty of sweat on it. I'll try to get some sweat dripping on the 820 this morning when it goes out for its maiden voyage and see if it has issues with it.

As far as 810 vs 510, the 510 has longer battery life if you do really long rides. The 510 has better accuracy for position because it has GLONASS in addition to GPS so more satellites to use which helps in situations with limited view of the sky. The 810 has a bigger screen and background maps, but the 510 does turn by turn navigation quite well if you load a course without even without a background map. With the 820 out both 810 and 510 are about the same price in the US when you find them on sale, or you may find some nice used ones now too as people replace them with the 820.

The 810 is easier to find for sale new than the 510, and Western Bikeworks has the 810 on sale for $219 right now too - and just as a test I put it in my cart and chose ship to Australia and it let me proceed to checkout. :) Looks like you will have to pay $29 for shipping though.

https://www.westernbikeworks.com/product/garmin-edge-810

·
Registered
3,935 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
The typical Gamin GPS cycling computer is waterproof, so sweat is not going to bother it.

Touch screen vs. buttons is just personal preference. I like TS as I can never remember which button does what and with TS it's all right there, so easier for me to navigate. My 810 screen is usable while wearing long fingered gloves, and that's actually easier in some respects then finding the small buttons on the side of a unit in gloves. YMMV.

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
I like the touch screen. It's easy to swipe through screens and I especially like the ability to change any given data field by simply holding my finger on it for 2 seconds and then selecting from the list. This is very easy to do while riding.
Any particular reason for touchscreen? I find it not that great a feature. Although sans touchscreen, the 520 is the best computer I have ever used. I'm expecting to use mine essentially forever.

The 820 that just came out is the same form factor but with additional features and touchscreen, I would look into that model.

And of course you should check out DC Rainmaker's reviews.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
After a rocky launch, the ELEMNT has been great for me. While not touchscreen, the buttons/interface are dead simple and intuitive, and the screen is crystal clear. Just wanted to offer another possible alternative view.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts