Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a neighbors bike and I found that the last guy to work on the BB stripped the threads out of the left crank arm. I can probably find a used replacement at the bike shop and I was wondering about methods to remove the old one. I read somewhere that you can just ride it around for a few blocks with no bolt and it will fall off and I can always go after it with a hacksaw but I was looking for any other ideas.

Thanks guys.

·
good son , bad man
149 Posts
I was in the same boat one time and had to end up hack sawing the left crankarm off. I sawed a diagonal groove as deep as I could and then finished it off by prying the crack open with a heavy duty screwdriver. It wasn't pretty but it worked. I never thought of the ride around the block without the bolt method. Give it a try (carefully).

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Can you remove the BB if you take the other arm off? If you can then you could put the BB axle in a vise and tap the arm off with a hammer. You could try soaking it with WD40 or penetrating oil & trying to pry it off with a long screwdriver. If you have a vice, try to enlist some help. Put the crank arm in the vise and pull the bike. Heating up the crank arm might help too. Just a couple of wild thoughts.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I was lucky enough to find my local shop had a left over crank to match so I went with the hacksaw method and we are back and running. Thank goodness they used aluminum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.