Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

New to the crazy bike scene. I don't even remember the last time I owned a bike (I'm 30 now). I'm looking for a good commuter bike and today ran across the Opus Orpheo in a store listed at $549 (Canadian price).

I've been searching forums and have found very little about these bikes aside from where they are manufactured. I'm also a newbie to components. For the price would this bike be worth it? I've read some things about the IOX disc brakes that didn't sound so hot. Are the components decent? I will be riding at least 10-15 kms a day and then riding for pleasure on weekends.

The bike is on www.opusbike.com under urban performance
https://www.opusbike.com/pdf/Orpheo08-screen.jpg

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

· Registered
89 Posts
Looks like it should be fine for riding the commuting distance you noted. It may not be a great bike for longer weekend rides - i.e. saddle looks uncomfortable, geometry is not ideal, flat bar is not great over long distances - but would be fine for 30-40 kilometre jaunts. I am sure the disc brakes will not hold you back. It has mounts for panniers and fenders, which are a necessity for commuting. A triple crank is overkill. Wheels are not ideal, but not horrible.

Opus is the house brand of a big bike distributor in Canada, and their bikes give very good value for the price. This bike has better components than a comparable "name" brand bike like Trek, Specialized ... I guess the only thing I would note is that this is actually quite a nice bike for a daily commuter, so get a good lock as it may be a target for theft.

· Registered
868 Posts
In that price range the bike looks fine and it may serve you quite well. But what is the cost of the bike up from that one the Capricco? That bike is four pounds lighter and has much better wheels and cranks set. If you were to commute everyday, that is the bike I would buy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.