Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Wrecked last Sunday. Dinged up pretty badly. Bike survived with minimal damage - most of the impact was on the right front Brake lever housing.

The double tap lever functioned flawlessly for the 12 miles back to the car. SRAM fan for life now.

I will be replacing the Apex levers with a set of the older generation Red that I got from the guy who owns the LBS that I like.

·
Just an ordinary Joe!
172 Posts
Well Sundog let me be the first to congratulate you for if this was your first road bike wreck for surviving and getting it behind you. If you ride long enough you will wreck and you can only hope you walk away and it is a single bike wreck and not someone hitting you.

I wrecked twice last year and the first was pretty bad. My body suffered the loss and the bike like your experience was minimal.

But glad your okay and watch out..............I have found mailboxes tend to attack bikers too!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Wrecked last Sunday. Dinged up pretty badly. Bike survived with minimal damage - most of the impact was on the right front Brake lever housing.

The double tap lever functioned flawlessly for the 12 miles back to the car. SRAM fan for life now.

I will be replacing the Apex levers with a set of the older generation Red that I got from the guy who owns the LBS that I like.
At least you're okay. A coworker of mine broke his hip and collarbone last week.

Biking can be real dangerous.

Bikes can be fixed. Looks like you are doing that and will be back very soon.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well - I've reached the limit of my patience with the factory supplied wheels. The rear wheel never wanted to stay true very long. One rear spoke broke. And the end caps on the front hub just look like they are dying to jump off.

I had planned on ordering some Boyd Altamont alloy clinchers anyway - so last night I did just that. First metric century is just around the corner for me.

Altamont alloy clincher - Boyd Cycling

That should be the last of the upgrades. I still enjoy the bike. If I had it to do all over again, I would have probably spent a little more on a better complete bike, instead of going the upgrade a little at a time route.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
For the record, the factory wheel set (with tape and skewers) weighs 2,340g.

I took 601 grams off the bike with the new wheels.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Here they are:

Nice ride. I am a little bit faster - and way less tired after a given distance.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts