Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've just put together a reasonably light Orbea Orca, to see how it feels to be on a light bike. I was looking for a Scott CR1, didn't see any at a low price, and I found a good deal on this Orca on ebay, so I went with this. I used parts that I had lying around, the only part I bought specifically for this project was the zeroG brakes.

Conclusion: it's a good bike and accelerates nicely, but you notice that it's light mostly when you carry it down the stairs. I'll ride it a bit and sell it on ebay. Or if it doesn't sell well like this, I'll take it apart and sell piece by piece.

Here are the components, any advice to lighten it is welcome. I do not want to
- put Record on it - sure, it would be something like 60g lighter.
- use downtube shifters
- use hard-to-find, crazy expensive components.

So, I have on it:
- Reynolds Cirro KOM wheels
- Full D/A 10spd, 12/27 cassette. It's a climbing bike after all.
- Kestrel EMS SL carbon (oversized, 200g), Ritchey WCS stem.
- FSA SLK Megaexo compact cranks. I might put FSA compact carbon pro/Am classic bottom bracket instead. Same kind of price and a bit lighter (how much weight would I save ? sounds like ~80g)
- ZeroG Ti brakes.
- Use Alien seatpost, Selle Italia SLR seat.
- with Speedplay X1 pedals it weighs 13.8 lbs

Pierre

PS: by the way, yes I'm cheating, it doesn't have bar tape or bottle cages.

·
Registered
205 Posts
dang, your seat looks really far forward.... I don't really understand why someone would build up such a nice bike just becuz'... Otherwise, nice bike!

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well why not - I had almost everything lying around, 'xept for the brakes, which I was interested in giving a try anyway. The only reason for not doing it would be that putting it together wasted 2 hours that I could have spent biking :) Plus 10 minutes snapping pictures.

No comment will be taken on the position of the seat, I like it that way :) I put it full forward on all my bikes, and have done up to 600K brevets with no major issue.

Pierre

moose8500 said:
dang, your seat looks really far forward.... I don't really understand why someone would build up such a nice bike just becuz'... Otherwise, nice bike!

·
Registered
205 Posts
well, yea, I guess that's cool, all I was saying is that if i had bikes like that just lying around I would ride them more, not just sell them... If you like to put the seat forward like that, why not consider many shorter-toptube, steeper geometry bikes, like triathlon bikes??? They would put you in that same position with the seat in the middle of the rails. Look at cervelo, kestrel, bmc etc triathlon bikes...

·
pinoy thunder
341 Posts
-lighter tires (maybe Tufo's)
-lighter cable set
-M2 Racer skewers and pedals
-maybe a lighter fork (Easton SLX or Alpha Q)
-lose weight (just kidding)

How light are those wheels? Stiff enough?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Pierre said:
I've just put together a reasonably light Orbea Orca, to see how it feels to be on a light bike. I was looking for a Scott CR1, didn't see any at a low price, and I found a good deal on this Orca on ebay, so I went with this. I used parts that I had lying around, the only part I bought specifically for this project was the zeroG brakes.

Conclusion: it's a good bike and accelerates nicely, but you notice that it's light mostly when you carry it down the stairs. I'll ride it a bit and sell it on ebay. Or if it doesn't sell well like this, I'll take it apart and sell piece by piece.

Here are the components, any advice to lighten it is welcome. I do not want to
- put Record on it - sure, it would be something like 60g lighter.
- use downtube shifters
- use hard-to-find, crazy expensive components.

So, I have on it:
- Reynolds Cirro KOM wheels
- Full D/A 10spd, 12/27 cassette. It's a climbing bike after all.
- Kestrel EMS SL carbon (oversized, 200g), Ritchey WCS stem.
- FSA SLK Megaexo compact cranks. I might put FSA compact carbon pro/Am classic bottom bracket instead. Same kind of price and a bit lighter (how much weight would I save ? sounds like ~80g)
- ZeroG Ti brakes.
- Use Alien seatpost, Selle Italia SLR seat.
- with Speedplay X1 pedals it weighs 13.8 lbs

Pierre

PS: by the way, yes I'm cheating, it doesn't have bar tape or bottle cages.
Your weights are weigh off, but you know that don't you. example Krestrel fork at 200 grams LOL . Your bike is in the 17lb class .

·
Registered
778 Posts
The Kestrel item in question is actually a HANDLEBAR and not a FORK. This would make it entirely likely that it does in fact weigh 200g. Also the total bike is hanging from an Ultimate (Alpine) scale which is accurate to 0.005lb. The bike weighs 13.49 lbs.

geez... :rolleyes:

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
TACSTS said:
The Kestrel item in question is actually a HANDLEBAR and not a FORK. This would make it entirely likely that it does in fact weigh 200g. Also the total bike is hanging from an Ultimate (Alpine) scale which is accurate to 0.005lb. The bike weighs 13.49 lbs.

geez... :rolleyes:
Yeah, it helps to be able to read the OP's original post. As for the accuracy of the scale, that accuracy is dependent on it being properly calibrated and maintained. It could be that the scale is off, but it certainly isn't off 3 lbs or probably even one. It's prolly worth having a reference weight or two around to check for drift in the instrument's calibration.

Nice bike.

·
pinoy thunder
341 Posts
moose8500 said:
If you like to put the seat forward like that, why not consider many shorter-toptube, steeper geometry bikes, like triathlon bikes??? They would put you in that same position with the seat in the middle of the rails...
Maybe he has short legs?? Ever think of that? What if he only put the seat forward like that because he needed to align his kneecaps to the spindle of the pedals? Tri bikes will most likely put you in a much more aggressive position than this..You might want to think first before you type :rolleyes:
Maybe you should have told him to get a no setback post so that you'll be happy..

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
stella azzura guizzo carbon crank? that could lose you some weight
either that or like, a stronglight pulsion CT, both would drop weight off the FSA crank, which, if im correct, actually weighs more than the normal DA crank... (and i think that stella makes a compact if you want a compact, i think it might be like ... rapido or something? oh heck i dont know... www.bikesomewhere.com has it i think.)

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Zipp bars, M2 Racer seat post, and Stronglight cranks, that would save you about a pound. I HATED my SLK MegaExo cranks. The finish was iffy and they weigh 220 grams MORE than the new Stronglight/AC BB I installed, the Pulsions are simply amazing. With my new bars, post and if I used those wheels that would put me at roughly 12.8 lbs (that includes everything I leave the house with except bottles). Best of luck!

K

·
Registered
99 Posts
Cranks & Brifters

Pierre,
good job at putting together a lightweight, RIDEABLE bike.
The anchor on your bike is the crankset w/ integrated BB at ~800gr whereas the FSA Compact Pro Elite + AC BB run about 655 gr. (The new stuff is a big step back for the weight weenies)
Also, you could swap the Brifters w/ Record (theirs are now actually cheaper then DA), quite a bit lighter, which is offset by the J-tek shiftmate to convert gear ratios (~30gr). Works like a charm, and the Record Brifters are just nicer (more carbon too).

Again, nice job, oh, and don't listen to the Spreadsheet guys too much ;-) Just ride it uphill, and stop crashing ;-)

Michael
---------------------------
Ride, rinse, repeat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pierre said:
some more pics
Hmmm... that frame in that size typically weighs around 1200g... and the fork around 420g, neither especially superlight... so with those components I'm sorta questioning that total weight... and looking at the picture of the full bike hanging on the scale the front wheel is resting on the leg of the workstand so I think that's affecting what the scale is reading.

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the front wheel thing is a perspective effect, it was well above the leg of the stand. I checked the weight of frame / fork before building. The frame is 1130g, the fork is 290g. Surprising that so many people doubt about my measurement instead of giving recommendations. I know, this frame is not as light as a Dragonfly or a CR1, but I got it for $900...

Going to change the crankset/bb, I'll post new pics afterwards.

Pierre

Chocolate Monkey said:
Hmmm... that frame in that size typically weighs around 1200g... and the fork around 420g, neither especially superlight... so with those components I'm sorta questioning that total weight... and looking at the picture of the full bike hanging on the scale the front wheel is resting on the leg of the workstand so I think that's affecting what the scale is reading.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pierre said:
the front wheel thing is a perspective effect, it was well above the leg of the stand. I checked the weight of frame / fork before building. The frame is 1130g, the fork is 290g. Surprising that so many people doubt about my measurement instead of giving recommendations. I know, this frame is not as light as a Dragonfly or a CR1, but I got it for $900...

Going to change the crankset/bb, I'll post new pics afterwards.

Pierre
I guess because it seems too light for the build. You weighed the frame and fork... did you weigh all the components? I'd be curious to see the components weights.

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
didn't weigh all the components, I'm not all that serious of a weight-weenie. I'm cheating because it doesn't have pedals / bottle cage / bar tape. Also, the wheels are Reynolds Cirro KOM, not your average Ksyrium SL. The Reynolds are more than 1 lb lighter than the Mavics... I think they are specd at 1020g / pair. Look on the main rbr page, there's a link to a page where Francois reviewed all these carbon wheels.

Pierre

Chocolate Monkey said:
I guess because it seems too light for the build. You weighed the frame and fork... did you weigh all the components? I'd be curious to see the components weights.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts