Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

This might be a long one, but I hope you stick with me.

I fell in love with cycling a few years ago and started looking for my dream bike. 2021 November I saw Orbea release an Orbea Orca Aero 2022. Which I immediatelly fell in love with. I liked the frame, liked the strict lines, liked the storage box, basically everything.

So I went ahead to the bikefitter and asked him to measure me in order to get the correct sizing of the bike. I am basically 170cm tall with 81cm inseam. Pretty average according to shimano bikefit data.

Due to my low flexibility, he recommended getting me a 53 cm size with a 90mm stem, 172.5mm cranks. I am attaching you the geometry from Obra website:
Bicycle White Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire

So I got to test-ride the bike and it felt way to big for me, I was stretching a lot just to reach the hoods. My shoulders and my back hurt as hell. The cranks felt way too big and my knees were sore from riding. Long story short, I asked Orbea to change the frame to 51cm since this is what they recommend for my height.

Now the bike is here and I went to another pretty expensive bikefitter (300 euros) thinking finally I will be able to change the stem to a longer one, cut the fork tube, remove all the stem spaces and have a decent looking bike.

Oh boy. Little did I know. The bike looks nothing like I have imagined.

The bikefitter also told me that I would need to change the stem to even shorter one (70mm), because the handlebars have crazy long reach (Orbea claims it's 80mm, but when measured, it's closer to 95mm).

So I am pretty bummed, I though we are going to cut the fork tube and the bike will look awesome. But tbh with so many stem spacers and short stem, it looks nothing like my dream bike.

After reading a lot of forums, little did I know that you have to choose a bike based on the stack and reach, head tube length, etc from your old bike.

I was thinking about even smaller frame (49cm one), but looking at the geometry, the stack remains almost the same.

Is there anything I can do with this bike or is it doomed and I better sell it and look for a new one?

Attaching some pics so you guys have a clear idea what I have in my mind.

Thanks for responses in advance.

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel
Hand Bicycle fork Tool Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part
Hand Rectangle Font Bicycle part Tints and shades
Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle Bicycle frame

Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Land vehicle Hand
Bicycle Bicycle frame Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar Fender

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Observations:
Think about "Form follows Function". It's a nice looking bike, hang it on a wall.
That is great bike, that Chris Fromme could ride. Unfortunately, it appears with your low flexibility, you are not Chris Fromme.
Why don't you get a shorter reach bar or didn't you order one with the bike?
Why are you worried that a smaller bike has the same stack? It seems with your flexibility that is what you would want.
Facts:
Since you didn't post your stack and reach #'s, no one here knows what you are attempting to do.
One usually purchases a bike based on 'fit', not on how it looks. ... and 'red' bikes are always faster and better looking.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. The bar is the default one which Orbea offers for these bikes.

Regarding the smaller stack, I am still very new to these numbers. From my initial understanding, I need a higher stack bike in order not to use so many spacers. So I was thinking if smaller frame has the same stack height, I will need the same amount of spacers?

From the 1st bike fit I have these numbers, where bike fitter said it would be my "ideal bike". But also I am not 100% trust this data because the handlebars should be 400 or even 390 (cuz 420 are way too wide for me), and cranks should be 170 (172.5 feels too big for me).

Triangle Parallel Auto part Font Engineering

Regarding the bike based on fit, you are completely right. For me it is such a big hassle to buy a new bike. At first I did not even think about so many different things. I thought the equation is simple: bike you like + bike size (based on your height and maybe inseam) + handlebar's width = your new shiny bike.

Now after receiving the bike I realized my logic was completely wrong and I f'ed up big.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Orbeas have always run large. That 53 is more like a 54/55.
I’m 170cm and would ride a 51 in that bike. Ideal stack/reach for me is 519/382.
And yes more than likely someone 5’7” should be riding 170 cranks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bike you see in the pictures is in size 51. And even on Orbea website, they say size 51 is for 167-172cm (~ 65.7"-67.7") height.

I just really don't understand whether:
  • The frame is too big
  • The frame is right but I just need to work on my flexibility (to remove these 4cm of spacers)
    • Which seems like it would put reach even further by probably a whole 1cm
  • Or this bike's geometry will never fit me (no matter the size, unless I want loads of spacers and short stems)

What is your inseam? And with 382 reach, what stem length usually works for you? Have you had cases where you had to put a super short stem? Like 70mm?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Oh ok I thought the bike in the picture was a 53.
My inseam is 31 inches give or take a bit(depends how much I push the book in my crotch)
My road bikes have 90 stems.
You are correct that by removing spacers the reach will increase.
That Orbea has a pretty aggressive frame meaning it is more of a race fit bike.
You might have needed to get a more upright position bike like the Trek Domane. The head tube is bigger on a bike like the domane. Which then you could remove the spacers to get the fit you want.
I don’t mind the look of spacers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, regarding the height and inseam, your dimensions are exactly as mine. So maybe I still have hope.

I guess I have 2 options here.

1st one:
  • Change the handlebars to compact ones (something like this PRO PLT Ergo Carbon Handlebar | Pro Bikegear)
  • This would bring the reach closer and I wouldn't need to change the stem to a super short one (70cm)
  • Then I would work on my flexibility to get into more aggressive position which would allow me to slowly remove spacers.
2nd one:
  • Sell the bike and look for a new one.
  • But I guess I could still jump on the same rake by buying a bike not tailored for my dimensions.
  • Which was exactly my point of going to a bikefitter before ordering the bike. But I guess even that doesn't protect one from buying the wrong bike.

·
Registered
213 Posts
That’s a tough decision.
All of my bikes have compact bars which are nice for us smaller guys. I ride 170 cranks on all my bikes. I have 70.8 saddle height from center of bottom bracket to top center of the saddle. Saddle setback is 5.9 cm measured from center of bottom bracket to tip of saddle.
Most people in my area have their stem slammed yet they ride with their arms locked out because the front end is way to low for them. It’s quite comical. I’d rather see spacers below the stem then people riding in a crappy position

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks, I have just measured mine.

It's not laser precise, but pretty close:
  • Saddle height (from center of bottom bracket to top center of the saddle): 71cm
  • Saddle setback (from center of bottom bracket to tip of the seddle): 8.5cm
The only noticeable difference here is the saddle setback. But maybe this is due to the fact that I am not flexible enough?

What kind of handlebars do you ride? Could you recommend some?

·
Registered
213 Posts
We have a very similar set up besides the 2.5 cm difference for saddle setback. My saddle is 270 in length. Is yours a snub nose? If so that is probably where the difference is. I measure saddle set back by placing the front tire against a wall. Then measure from the wall to the center of bottom bracket and the wall to the tip of the saddle and subtract the difference.
2 of my bikes have FSA SL-K carbon compact 40 cm bars. I like them because they are light and reasonably priced for carbon bars

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My saddle is Prologo Dimension 143 which is in 245mm length (Dimension 143).

The bikefitter got me this one because of my butt shape (with the other shapes, my knees wobble too much).

But probably this is what gives the setback difference between your and mine saddles?

I measured the saddle setback exactly as you said (rear tire perpendicularly touching the wall).

Thanks for the name. The specs show it has 80mm reach. Shouldn't the compact ones be with a smaller reach?

Orbea in their specsheet also shows my bars with 80mm reach. But no way they are 80mm.

Product Rectangle Font Line Parallel
Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Land vehicle Hand

·
Registered
213 Posts
My fsa compact in size 40 have a 78mm reach per specs and I just measured and that is accurate.
What width bars are you wanting? 38’s generally have a 5mm less reach than 40’s

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is that the measurement from the centre of the “clamp” to the centre of furthest part of the bar?

Like in this pic:
Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar Line Font Auto part

My ideal size would be 390, currently the Orbea ones are 40 and they fit me pretty well.

I might be able to fit into 38cm if the reach for them is much shorter

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yes. Center of the top of the bar to center of the far reach of the bar.
Your measuring in the picture looks a little wonky. I put the zero of the tape on the top center of the bar and measure straight out towards the hoods. Then you can envision a line straight up from the center of the reach of the bar.
I’d be surprised that Orbeas measurements are off

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
I think measuring the saddle to the rear of the saddle to CL of bracket & HB stem is more important than where the front of the saddle is. As you said, all saddles have different lenghts and some are quite stubby, so I use the rear for my setups. If you use a setback seat post, one cannot measure to the CL of the seat tube from the BB, which is the case on my bikes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I mean it's not a laser accurate measurement for sure, but It's definitely in the ballpark between 95 and 100:
Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire
Glasses Bicycle handlebar Sunglasses Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bumper
Bicycle handlebar Bicycle fork Leg Sunglasses Bicycle part

I measured my Cube compact ones the same way and they seem to be in "compact" range between 70 and 75:
Bicycle Bicycle handlebar Bicycle frame Bicycle saddle Bicycle part
Bicycle Wheel Tire Hand Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yeah that’s messed up that Orbeas bars are off by 15-20mm.
Have you contacted orbea about it?
Like all bike makers, as with most other manufactures, they include the following legalese on their web pages with the specs: "We reserve the right to make changes to the product and component information appearing on this site at any time without notice, including with respect to equipment, specifications, models, colors, and materials. "

1 - 20 of 30 Posts