Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had a road bike for quite sometime. I'm 6'4" 220 lbs and am looking at getting a carbon dura ace or campy set up. I road a friends Madone and found that I felt every little bump in the road. A friend suggested the Orbea's telling me that they're much more comfortable and just a great ride. Although I haven't been on one yet, everything I've heard raves about these bikes. I'll ride a hour a day or so 4-5 times a week with the occassional long ride thrown in.
Thoughts on Orbea or another dream bike?

·
Registered
177 Posts
vino11 said:
I haven't had a road bike for quite sometime. I'm 6'4" 220 lbs and am looking at getting a carbon dura ace or campy set up. I road a friends Madone and found that I felt every little bump in the road. A friend suggested the Orbea's telling me that they're much more comfortable and just a great ride. Although I haven't been on one yet, everything I've heard raves about these bikes. I'll ride a hour a day or so 4-5 times a week with the occassional long ride thrown in.
Thoughts on Orbea or another dream bike?
I test Rode a Trek 5.9SL Madone recently, and took that test ride straight to another shop where I test rode an Orbea Opal. I rode the Opal, then swapped the pedals back to the Madone to do a quick comparison and I found the Madone to feel quicker. It lurches forward when I put the hammer down. Proably a lighter bike. Maybe not much, but I noticed a difference. The Orbea was a very nice bike too. Not sure I would say the Orbea was more or less comfortable. Both were nice in my estimation.It's probably all about 'fit' and geometry. But since I ride an '01 Trek 5200, the same size Madone felt more 'familiar' and sort of like 'home' to me. But the Orbea had NO excuses to make. It was gorgeous and smooth and a work of art.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Same-O

Hi, I have had both 5900 SLs (2) and an Orca. Amongst all the fairly high-end production bikes, I'd say these two are the most similar to each other when it comes to ride feel. If you could ride blindfolded, I bet you wouldn't be able to guess which bike you were on by feel alone..Also, the geometry is very similar. I've not tried a Madone, but I understand they are somewhat more 'harsh' than the superlight 5900. The 5200 series Treks are also very similar to the other two. I am 6'1". PS, I have an Orca frame, with fork. I'd sell it reasonably, as I have two DeRosas I am currently riding and no longer need the Orca. 2004, black and silver, very low miles almost new condition. 60cm, I recall. email me if you want more info..Check my rep on ebay as Gnarly 928..I am honest, honest!
Both are very good frames, you won't go wrong with either.
Don Hanson

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
lots of great carbon bikes out there for that price

do you know your size/geometry needs--because if you do you could look at calfee, crumpton, etc and have a more unique and great ride. nothing wrong with what is in most shops--try them all--tcr, roubaix, etc but you could support a smaller builder
good luck
jim

·
Registered
654 Posts
Orca, Not Opal

I do not have first hand experience, but if you are looking for comfort, Orca is the right frame in the Orbea line, not Opal. All the reviews and write-ups of the Opal comment on how stiff the frame is. Opal is a racing geometry with stiffness. Orca is also a very competitive geometry but a bit more forgiving for long distances.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.