Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I’m looking to change my ride soon and have narrowed it down to these 2 rides.

Orbea Orca (Campy Eurus wheels)
Kuota Khan (Ksyrium SCC-SL wheels)

The rest is basically the same, so have no impact on my decision.

I’m looking for your opinion.

Just another question: Where are those two frames made? I think that the Orbea’s is handmade in Spain but where is the Kuota made?

Thanks in advance.

:M:

·
limit screwed
807 Posts
The carbon Orbeas, as enumerated in the Orbea forum, are designed and prototyped in Spain, production and lay-up of the front and rear triangles are done in Taiwan, and they are assembled and finished in Spain.

Kuota, I've no idea. Probably made in the Far East as well; very, very few carbon bikes are not.

Both wheelsets are high quality.

My only recommendation is to ride both as much as you can; if you can test them both over the same route, that would be ideal. In terms of testimonials, I know a few Orca owners, and they love the bike. Orbea has gotten a lot of positive press the last few years.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
Both frames are made by Martec in Taiwan.

http://www.martec.com.tw/ You won't find any info on what brands are made there, but I have seen photos from the factory that clearly show Orbea, Kuota, Specialized and other brand frames. Do a search, there's more info on them on this board.

·
T.R., conservationist
239 Posts
Kuota

I almost bought the Kuota before settling on my Look. I test road it quite a bit and it's a great bike. The Pro at my LBS sells a ton of them and the people I see seem very satisfied. In fact, several own more than one. Sometimes when I show up for the club rides it looks like "Team Kuota" is making an appearance.
I'm happy with my Look but with bicycles in this category I'm not sure there's a "bad" bike. If you read a lot of posts you will see it comes down to fit and which shop is most proficient and will offer the best service. If you want to call the Pro at my shop to talk with him his name is James and his number is 817-244-7911. Good luck!
Jerry

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I have an Orca

I have an Orca and liked it during the test ride. I am selling it now cause I just got a Look 555 that is hands down a better performer. The Orca was way to sloppy/flexy in the front end and has a very flexy bottem bracket. I am about 5'5 and 175 lbs, not exacly a lightwieght and I like to pretend I can climb. The 555 is so much stiffer and solid it is not even funny.If you are a larger rider you may want to think twice about the Orca.

·
Banned
476 Posts
made where?

Are you sure Specialized are made by martec in Taiwan

I heard they were made by topkey in China

I assume almost every carbon fiber frame you can buy is made in taiwan or china
I am unsure which is better; but I like Taiwan for polictics better

·
Registered
397 Posts
Check back later tonight and I'll give you my impressions of Kuota (Kharma). I own a Giant TCR Composite 0 and a Cannondale Six13, and I'm still looking for that magical carbon ride. I've decided that the Giant compact frame, while comfortable and light, just doesn't do it for me. The Six13 is probably one of the most expensive carbon bikes that rides like a an all aluminum rig. The Orcas have received great reviews and a couple of parking lot rides confirmed that they provide a super ride, but they are very similar to the Giant. I took a shot with the Kuota Kharma because I got a fantastic deal and liked the traditional frame/geometry. Tonight's the first real test ride. Fingers crossed.

Okay. First test ride complete. The Kharma is nice compromise between the comfort of the Giant and the stiffness of the Six13. I would imagine that the Khan would be even better due the direct drive stays and the lighter frame. I'm very impressed with the Kuota frameset. The weave is beautiful and the clearcoat thick. Super workmanship.

Photo attached. Do not hesitate to grab a Kuota.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.