Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Scary Teddy Bear
14,801 Posts
Cool

billyd said:
Did a months worth of research and went down to my local lbs today.
Was looking at the Cannondale and the Fuji Comp. I think the Kona is the better bike for the $.

I have a JTS and I love it, the only thing I'm thinking of changing is the fork....it's kinda heavy.

· No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
billyd said:
Did a months worth of research and went down to my local lbs today.
Was looking at the Cannondale and the Fuji Comp. I think the Kona is the better bike for the $.

:( I was going to buy the JtS frame yesterday. But Kona is out of my size! Was going to kit it out with a Ritchey WCS fork, and Ultegra 10 components.

I wanted the JtS not the Major Jake becuase the JtS has rack mount holes! The Major Jake doesn't!

· Banned
476 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those are good deals. But what do you do if something breaks and who's going to put it together. Not me. I suck at that stuff.

$1070 is what I'll be getting charged for the JST. I think the Ibex is comparable. The Motobacane has much cheaper components.

Oh well, my local lbs put three new drive trains on my bikes last year and rebuilt my Wicked Fat Chance into a single speed. I think it's time I brought a bike from them.

I don't think it would be to cool walking in there with a new Ibex and asking them to put it together.

Thanks for post those. I always like to see who has good deals.

bd

· Banned
476 Posts
You are right

billyd said:
Those are good deals. But what do you do if something breaks and who's going to put it together. Not me. I suck at that stuff.

$1070 is what I'll be getting charged for the JST. I think the Ibex is comparable. The Motobacane has much cheaper components.

Oh well, my local lbs put three new drive trains on my bikes last year and rebuilt my Wicked Fat Chance into a single speed. I think it's time I brought a bike from them.

I don't think it would be to cool walking in there with a new Ibex and asking them to put it together.

Thanks for post those. I always like to see who has good deals.

bd
If you need help wrenching on a cross bike - you may prefer a dealer; lots of cross riders do their own work - so dealer is meaningless

There is a difference in opinion on the 9-spd vs 10-spd chain by the way

The Motobecane uses 9-speed chain like a mountain bike - thus less likely to twist under heavy off road -- that may seem lower end and is lower cost - but it saves you on the bike cost and makes the bike less likely to need drive train work

Note Shimano has not good to 10-speed ATB stuff even on XTR
just a thought

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.