Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a trek store to get my bike and went with the Emonda ALR 5 over the Domane AL3 since it had a more aggressive fit and the 105 gearset. I want to use it for road races and to put aero bars on it for triathlons. I have a cardio background, with swim competitions and half and full marathons.

Anywho I'm nervous, the bike hasn't come in yet and originally the store thought I'd be a 54 but they gave me a Emonda frame (it was like a sl6 trim, something super expensive) to try and I just felt stretched. The seat was fully bottomed out, I couldn't go any lower and my arms were fully elongated when gripping the handlebars. I tried the 52 and I felt like I had SO much more control and comfort. It felt like the one I wanted to take home, and since nothing was in stock for sale I had to place an order which I did.

I'm between 5'9-5'10 with short legs, I think my inseam is like 30-31. I just stumbled across a few people being near my height, and they said they got emonda's in 54-56cm and it now makes me feel like I did something wrong. I read that it's better to buy a bike small than larger, as it's easy to 'extend' a frame but now I'm totally questioning everything and perhaps even freaking out a little haha. I'm a total newbie to road bikes, so you can imagine this can be a bit overwhelming. This would be my first bike, and I'd hate to screw up on something that costs two thousand dollars.. I tried the bike on flat land with flats, but read I could run the risk of cramping up or hitting the bars on a hill. If I needed to 'extend' the frame, would I be able to if needed? I also read a lot of 'pros' size down so maybe, I'm not in a bad spot?

Hopefully I can get some guidance. I'm thinking of trying another test ride at the store before my bike comes in.

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
I went to a trek store to get my bike and went with the Emonda ALR 5 over the Domane AL3 since it had a more aggressive fit and the 105 gearset. I want to use it for road races and to put aero bars on it for triathlons. I have a cardio background, with swim competitions and half and full marathons.

Anywho I'm nervous, the bike hasn't come in yet and originally the store thought I'd be a 54 but they gave me a Emonda frame (it was like a sl6 trim, something super expensive) to try and I just felt stretched. The seat was fully bottomed out, I couldn't go any lower and my arms were fully elongated when gripping the handlebars. I tried the 52 and I felt like I had SO much more control and comfort. It felt like the one I wanted to take home, and since nothing was in stock for sale I had to place an order which I did.

I'm between 5'9-5'10 with short legs, I think my inseam is like 30-31. I just stumbled across a few people being near my height, and they said they got emonda's in 54-56cm and it now makes me feel like I did something wrong. I read that it's better to buy a bike small than larger, as it's easy to 'extend' a frame but now I'm totally questioning everything and perhaps even freaking out a little haha. I'm a total newbie to road bikes, so you can imagine this can be a bit overwhelming. This would be my first bike, and I'd hate to screw up on something that costs two thousand dollars.. I tried the bike on flat land with flats, but read I could run the risk of cramping up or hitting the bars on a hill. If I needed to 'extend' the frame, would I be able to if needed? I also read a lot of 'pros' size down so maybe, I'm not in a bad spot?

Hopefully I can get some guidance. I'm thinking of trying another test ride at the store before my bike comes in.

Thank you for your help!
If you are buying a $2K+ bike the shop should have taken a lot more effort to measure you to get the right size. Are you saying the seat was as low is it could go? That would not be good. Check out this calculator at CC and maybe see what it says

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If you are buying a $2K+ bike the shop should have taken a lot more effort to measure you to get the right size. Are you saying the seat was as low is it could go? That would not be good. Check out this calculator at CC and maybe see what it says
Yeah for the 54, the seat was low as it could go. I'll try the online calculator, but need to find someone to help me measure.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I’m 5’ 7.5” and run a saddle height of 70.8 cm from center of bottom bracket to top center of the saddle.
Most bikes I ride are 52’s. Couple summers ago on vacation I borrowed a 54 Trek Emonda. The bike was too big for me but here’s is a picture showing how much seat post is out.
I can’t imagine someone 5’9” - 5’10” having the seat bottomed out. That does not seem correct.
My guess is a 54 Trek would fit you better than a 52
Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wheel Crankset Tire

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The bike hasn't come in yet, should I call and ask to cancel it or ask for a proper fit?

EDIT: Yeah when testing the 54, the store rep told me he cannot lower it anymore. We used flat pedals to test the bikes.

EDIT2: I also felt like I had to stretch my shoudlers amd arms to reach the handles.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
The bike hasn't come in yet, should I call and ask to cancel it or ask for a proper fit?

EDIT: Yeah when testing the 54, the store rep told me he cannot lower it anymore. We used flat pedals to test the bikes.

EDIT2: I also felt like I had to stretch my shoudlers amd arms to reach the handles.
The question I have is did he just lower the seat all the way for you or did he set the seat height to a proper fit.? Also, when you say you inseam is ~31inch did you measure it? Its not the same as your pants inseam. If it is 31 (or 78.7cm) that would give you a seat height of around 70cm (BB to seat top). Does not seem like you should be bottomed up on a 54

·
Registered
194 Posts
One other thing is the Emonda ALR 5 is not as aggressive fit as the Emonda SLR 6 that you tested. Here are screenshots of the 2 bikes geometry.
The SLR 6 has a longer reach and shorter stack than the ALR 5. The lower the stack number means it has a more aggressive bike fit.
White Bicycle Font Line Bicycle wheel
Product Font Line Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One other thing is the Emonda ALR 5 is not as aggressive fit as the Emonda SLR 6 that you tested. Here are screenshots of the 2 bikes geometry.
The SLR 6 has a longer reach and shorter stack than the ALR 5. The lower the stack number means it has a more aggressive bike fit.
I guess I should give a call and cancel the order?

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
He just lowered the seat for me. My 31 inseam was done with a book and a tape measure, but I cant say it's 100 percent accurate.
I'd measure it myself. Helps to have an assistant. Stand against a wall, feet spread about 6 inches. Jam a book between you legs (you are simulating the seat so use some force). Measure from top of book to floor.

Rather than cancel the order maybe go to the shop and express your concerns?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Only you can make that decision 😃
Any other trek stores close by that have a 52 and 54 ALR 5 in stock by any chance?
I have a 31” inseam give or take with the book test…depends on how hard you push the book 😬
You can see in the picture above that there is still plenty of room left to drop the seat mast.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Are you required to accept the bike if it comes in and you realize it doesn't fit you? Ask the shop. My guess is that they could easily sell it to someone else. Its not that high end of a bike.

A 52 cm bike for someone who is 5'9" strikes me as on the small side. But body dimensions differ. You ought to at least have the opportunity to pass if it doesn't fit you right.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you required to accept the bike if it comes in and you realize it doesn't fit you? Ask the shop. My guess is that they could easily sell it to someone else. Its not that high end of a bike.

A 52 cm bike for someone who is 5'9" strikes me as on the small side. But body dimensions differ. You ought to at least have the opportunity to pass if it doesn't fit you right.
I can cancel before the bike becomes, so I'm going to call right now. My inseam is 31. THey're pretty chill there so it's not like I need to start a fight but I will need to express my concerns, maybe come in for a fitting or have a second guy review me. There was another bike shop near me that did more...proper fittings and was gonna order a 54 frame bike for me but they only sell carbon fiber bikes which would have been like 3.5k+ ...

I guess I should call and mention that after some reviewing and discussing, I am concerned that a 52cm might be too small for me. Though tbh, if they're not very good at sizing, what help could they really offer?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Testing the bike, it felt okay, albeit my back felt a bit hunched but I'm not sure if that's normal. I'm also concerned during climbs my knees may hit the handlebars or may feel crunched.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Do you have a bike now or have U tried one of your friends for fit?
Are you really flexible?
Sounds like you need to get a good fitting, based on what you want to use the bike for. TT Bikes have odd setups, so if your really focusing on that, that is a different bike than what one would normally ride.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm going to the bike shop for another refitting, different employee will be helping me. It's a TREK owned store.

EDIT: WIll update, he did say that I have 30 days to return the bike once received.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,707 Posts
The difference between the 52 and 54 (reach) is only 2mm. I can't imagine you'd feel any less stretched out on the 52. It sounds to me like you need to work w/ someone that knows how to fit bike. The order of operations should ALWAYS be:
set saddle height
set saddle setback
set bar reach and drop.
I would think you'd be a 54 but would need to see you on the bike to know for sure.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,432 Posts
A few things seem odd here.

Given your dimensions, a 54 or even a 56 sounds right. I'm 5' 9" with a 32" inseam and I take a size 56 in most brands including Cannondale, Trek and Jamis.

The adjustment they made to the saddle before you test rode sounds very haphazard. Did the fitter measure the angle of your knee on the downstroke as a guide to adjust your saddle? This is very basic stuff they should be doing before they sell you a bike? If not, you should find a different shop.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
So I went to the shop, they use a standing machine to take a photo of you that measures your inseam and height that generates your frame size. Anyways I got 54cm as my frame recommended size. I took a test drive of the 52 and my legs weren't fully extending. I had a good amount of bend in my knee, but my torso def felt a bit too cramped. They did not measure my body or any part of my body via tape measure, etc. I did try a 54 emonda slr 6 and domane al 2 in size 54 and both models resulted in my legs fully extending on the peddles. The slr6 has a different seat post, so it doesn't go as low as the Emonda' aluminum would. I discussed it with a few of the employees and it seems I could either get the 54 and have the seat post cut or I could get a 52 and get a longer stem for the handle bars. I went up a slight incline on the road test and my legs were almost hitting my chest on the 52, tho I'm not really sure what's normal and what isn't - I was pretty crouched and in an aggresive stance. Honestly I am considering a pro fit due to my body being such weird dimensions or perhaps a different shop. There is a shop near me that will take more proper measures, and offers pro fits, but the bikes they sell are 5k+ ... I know this because I went to that shop, was told I'd be a 54 after the shop owner measured my inseam, arm length, leg length, etc, but was told the cheapest bike they have was 5k, hence me seeking out other shops. 5k is too step for an entry level bike.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts