Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was set to buy the 2011 Allez Elite and was looking at a 2010 Allez Comp also when I stumbled upon the Specialized Secteur and fell in love with the feel!

I ordered the 2011 Secteur Elite which no longer comes with 105 but either a choice of full Tiagra or Sram.

Now here is what I decided: The Tiagra version was $1050 and the Sram version was $1250 and honestly I felt like the Tiagra worked better than the Sram. The LBS did not bash either but said "keep in mind this Sram is new this year so there is no real history and seems to work ok"

Do you think I got a good deal and the right bike? Should I have went with Sram?

They gave 15% off accessories, got the computer, helmet, cages, bottles and shorts so far. Bike will be in this week and picking up next Saturday!

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
DougandBeth said:
I was set to buy the 2011 Allez Elite and was looking at a 2010 Allez Comp also when I stumbled upon the Specialized Secteur and fell in love with the feel!

I ordered the 2011 Secteur Elite which no longer comes with 105 but either a choice of full Tiagra or Sram.

Now here is what I decided: The Tiagra version was $1050 and the Sram version was $1250 and honestly I felt like the Tiagra worked better than the Sram. The LBS did not bash either but said "keep in mind this Sram is new this year so there is no real history and seems to work ok"

Do you think I got a good deal and the right bike? Should I have went with Sram?

They gave 15% off accessories, got the computer, helmet, cages, bottles and shorts so far. Bike will be in this week and picking up next Saturday!
As I read through your post it seemed to me that buying the Tiagra equipped Secteur was the obvious choice. You 'fell in love with the feel' and 'honestly thought Tiagra worked better than SRAM', so what motivation would you have had to do differently?

I think it's good that you went with your gut. Now relax, wait patiently till next Saturday and after you get the bike and ride it, post some pics.. and congrats!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
My teammate with a bunch of SRAM on his road bike is pretty annoyed with the components. Says he'll never buy a SRAM road group again. To be fair, I'm not sure which group he has.

Anyway, if you ever get annoyed with your component group, you can bump up the performance by quite a lot with a set of 105 or Ultegra shifters that cost less than the price difference between the two bikes. I'm happy with the Tiagras on my 'cross bike though - only thing they don't do is trim shift on the front.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Hey, you were able to try the stuff out and made the decision. Good for you. I know many people who are unhappy with Sram and find the shifting difficult to get used to.

·
What the what???
12,715 Posts
Don't let buyers remorse get to you. Trust your instincts and, as PJ352 said, ride the bike...post some pics...and enjoy.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I have no idea if you got the right bike or not but wheather it has Sram or Shimano is irrelevant towards determining that.

Have you been unfortunate enough to have read on of 'those' Sram v Shimano threads? Debating over how many angels can dance on the head of a pin is generally more conclusive than those threads.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
At least it is a full Tiagra... compared to last year, with the Allez/Secteur Sport, which used Tiagra drivetrain with Sora shift levers-- a common complaint was not being able to upshift when in the drops.

I can't seem to get the website trick to work.... does the Comp get the upgraded 2011 Shimano 105 components?

the 2010 Secteur Elite with 105 listed for $1400

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MAJOR UPDATE!!

Bad news turned into great news for me today!

The bike shop called this morning and told me that Specialized does not have the Secteur Elite with Tiagra in stock and it's on back order for a few weeks. Disappointing!

I called the original LBS I was dealing with before I even considered the Secteur and guess what they had a 54cm 2010 Secteur and it has 105! 105 is obvously better than the Tiagra and I got it for an additional $50.00

$1,100 out the door

Picking it up Friday and I feel great about it!

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
DougandBeth said:
MAJOR UPDATE!!

Bad news turned into great news for me today!

The bike shop called this morning and told me that Specialized does not have the Secteur Elite with Tiagra in stock and it's on back order for a few weeks. Disappointing!

I called the original LBS I was dealing with before I even considered the Secteur and guess what they had a 54cm 2010 Secteur and it has 105! 105 is obvously better than the Tiagra and I got it for an additional $50.00

$1,100 out the door

Picking it up Friday and I feel great about it!
Yes, I'd say a $50 upcharge to upgrade from Tiagra to 105 is worth it. Ya done good!! :thumbsup:

(but we still want pics come Friday).

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Get the Secteur.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Great buy. You should love it and feel you got a fair deal. The deal is only important at first, ultimatly you'll forget about the price and want the bike you loved. Luckily you got both.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts