Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if Fox are saying it does that make it true? (finally?)

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/nation/20040210-0550-campaign-bush-oreilly.html

WASHINGTON – Conservative television news anchor Bill O'Reilly said Tuesday he was now skeptical about the Bush administration and apologized to viewers for supporting prewar claims that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction.

The anchor of his own show on Fox News said he was sorry he gave the U.S. government the benefit of the doubt that former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein's weapons program poised an imminent threat, the main reason cited for going to war.

"I was wrong. I am not pleased about it at all and I think all Americans should be concerned about this," O'Reilly said in an interview with ABC's "Good Morning America."

"What do you want me to do, go over and kiss the camera?" asked O'Reilly, who had promised rival ABC last year he would publicly apologize if weapons were not found.

O'Reilly said he was "much more skeptical about the Bush administration now" since former weapons inspector David Kay said he did not think Saddam had any weapons of mass destruction.

While critical of President Bush, O'Reilly said he did not think the president intentionally lied. Rather, O'Reilly blamed CIA Director George Tenet, who was appointed by former President Clinton.

"I don't know why Tenet still has his job."

He added: "I think every American should be very concerned for themselves that our intelligence is not as good as it should be."

O'Reilly anticipated the presidential election would be a close race, adding he thought Democratic front-runner Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts would be a formidable opponent against Bush.

"It will be a very close race. The nation is divided," he said.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
Cracks are forming. Watch out for the flood.

·
pack fodder
442 Posts
Did you even read your cut&paste job before you posted it?

"While critical of President Bush, O'Reilly said he did not think the president intentionally lied."

Had you just stuck with "O'Reilly admits he was wrong", your comments would have had more credibility. Bill O is rightfully skeptical about the faulty intel and the decisions made based on this info. It was, and is, a streeeeeeeeetch to continue to call GWB a liar.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
HouseMoney said:

"While critical of President Bush, O'Reilly said he did not think the president intentionally lied."

Had you just stuck with "O'Reilly admits he was wrong", your comments would have had more credibility. Bill O is rightfully skeptical about the faulty intel and the decisions made based on this info. It was, and is, a streeeeeeeeetch to continue to call GWB a liar.

"While critical of President Bush, O'Reilly said he did not think the president intentionally lied. Rather, O'Reilly blamed CIA Director George Tenet, who was appointed by former President Clinton. "

Aha...O'Reilly manages to drag Clinton into this mess rather than put the blame on Bush where it should belong. Tenet has said he told Bush there were probably no WMD and now Bush will just claim Tenet is lying. Sad really.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pedant

HouseMoney said:

if I accepted what Bill O said at face value - hell if Bill O accepted what he said at face value - we'd all be in trouble - blame Tenet all you want but Bush was in charge

·
pack fodder
442 Posts
Bocephus Jones said:
Tenet has said he told Bush there were probably no WMD and now Bush will just claim Tenet is lying.
No. GWB has shown support for Tenet and stated his job is not currently in jeopardy. Tenet should be held accountable for 2 major intelligence failures (09/11, Iraq WMDs), but that doesn't mean he's a liar. Clinton's culpability in any of this is a worthy discussion for another day.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
HouseMoney said:
No. GWB has shown support for Tenet and stated his job is not currently in jeopardy. Tenet should be held accountable for 2 major intelligence failures (09/11, Iraq WMDs), but that doesn't mean he's a liar. Clinton's culpability in any of this is a worthy discussion for another day.
Let's assume Tenet is at fault and is incompetent. Isn't it equally as incompetent for Bush to keep him on and support him? I don't care who Bush ends up blaming--the buck should stop with him and he should be a man and own up to his role in all of this. Clinton was not president when any of this happened so I can't see how there would be any possibility of a "worthy" discussion of anything that Clnton did or didn't do at this point, but that doesn't seem to stop the neocons from blaming him anyway--all the while championing Bush even when the evidence suggests he conned the public about WMD and the imminent threat of Iraq in order to go to war. He is the war president after all.

·
off the back
15,584 Posts
HouseMoney said:
seems to me that the intelligence that tenet's agency was giving to the administration, complete with caveats and "we don't really know for sure's" was pretty accurate. it's the stuff gathered elsewhere, or the interpretations the administration assigned to that intelligence that are the problem here. whether that means they had other sources of intelligence that were wrong(iraqi national congress, office of special plans), drew the wrong conclusions from that intel, deliberately twisted and exaggerated the intelligence they were given, or outright lied, remains to be seen. in any case, it appears the shortcomings did not rest with the CIA, DIA, NSA, or other intelligence agencies, but elsewhere in the pentagon and the administration. alas, the intelligence probe will probably never go beyond the CIA, NSA or DIA to examine how intelligence was handled elsewhere.

likewise with the 9/11 intel. we all know that the CIA and FBI dropped the ball in certain areas. but because of administration stonewalling, we don't know if there were even larger failures of intelligence, or bureaucratic processes elsewhere in the administration and it's agencies. such as: top officials in the administration were warned in july that al-qaeda were planning a major strike against US interests either here or abroad. the administration won't reveal who among it's top advisors were privy to that information, who among them had seen the memo, or even if the president himself had seen the warning, and then what action, if any, they took in response to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.