Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I'm gearing up to go to China soon. I'm planning to-do some serious cycling in China from Chengdu to Kumming. This is an 1500KM ride through the beautiful scenery in China. I'm looking for people who feel like joining this tour on short notice :-D

The tour I'm keen on doing is this tour: http://www.bikechina.com/t-cdzd.html

If you are interested please pop me an email or leave a message at this forum.

Tail winds to you,

Stef

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
China is nice but 40 miles a day ain't much.

I can see why you want more folks along.....

Cost: Prices depend on the total number of people going on the tour and the time of year. Below are the price per person (pp) and quoted in US dollars (US$) for non-holiday periods*:

Group size:
1 person: $4,010
2 people: $2,390 pp
3 people $2,020 pp
4-8 people $1,710 pp

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mhhh, it all depends. I'm not just in China to cycle. Next to cycling I'm planning to enjoy the scenery, sniff see and feel the culture of this amazing country and best of all get back home with a clear mind again after a long period of hard work

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the cost ain't the biggest issue. It's just no fun going on your own. I like to be around people. It's always nice to meet new folks and exchange stories, learn from eachother and have fun.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
chillout said:
Well the cost ain't the biggest issue. It's just no fun going on your own. I like to be around people. It's always nice to meet new folks and exchange stories, learn from eachother and have fun.
I can't join you, but can you talk a little about the logistics of your trip.
1) Are you bringing your own bike?
2) if yes, how are you shipping it to China. As baggage, freight, or something else.
3) What kind of bike to you plan to use. Road Touring, Cross, Mountain, or something else
4) How have you found Bike China to work with. I've browsed their site before and been intrigued.
5) Have you been given any special instructions regarding biking in China that you found unique or suprising.

Have a great time.

Scot

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Scot

1) Are you bringing your own bike?

The plan is to bring my own mountain bike with me. I'm preparing the bike as we speak. It had wheels that woulden't misfit a truck in size, so I've replaced them with a less wide varation. I'm also taking 1 spare outside tyre with me and a few insides to ensure that I won't be stuck after the first puncture.

The bike I'm taking is a Trek 6500 with front suspension and I've been doing quite a bit of mountainbiking which the bike can handle wonderfully. I've also fitted the bike with Shimano PD-959 pedals to get the edge on putting the metal to the pedal :-D

2) if yes, how are you shipping it to China. As baggage, freight, or something else.

KLM has special boxes that they allow on the airplane. It does cost 80 Euro's to ship the bike but riding my own bike which by now suits my riding style sounds like a great idea.

3) What kind of bike to you plan to use. Road Touring, Cross, Mountain, or something else

It's definatly going to be a mountain bike. A thought about bringing a road racer but when Itold people that they asked me if I was crazy as the roads in China are sometimes good but at other times so bad you hardly can call them a road.

4) How have you found Bike China to work with. I've browsed their site before and been intrigued.

I love the guys who handles the tours. He's crazy about cycling, loves China and really tries to work with you to suit your needs and cycling experience. That's why I'm still trying to get people to join this tour. As the tour is built around cycling and seeing China is what I would love to-do. With some people you just know that it's right.

5) Have you been given any special instructions regarding biking in China that you found unique or suprising.

I've not yet heard anything that struck me as weird or unique yet. I've been to China once before. Not doing a cycling tour, but doing sightseeing then felt great but not much different to the rest of the trips I've done. The only real challenge is the language barrier. Only a few people in China I spoke could understand and talk english which is why I'm looking for an organized tour.

Thanks Scot

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

If you've not found them already be sure to look at Kai Ming's ride reports on this site. The links are compilled in this thread.
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=40357
Scroll down to the China section and hit Kai Ming's reports. He's a talented photographer, adventurer, and story teller. A perfect primer for your trip.

Have fun......I'll be bike touring China one day.

Scot

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.