Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally wear orthodics (custom made for my feet. Not Dr. Sholes) in my running shoes since I have very flat feet. I'm buying a pair of shoes this weekend and was wondering if anyone else here wears their orthodics in theirs or if they just go with the support the shoes have.

Thanks,
Aleks

·
Registered
960 Posts
I have been wearing custom 3/4 arch support orthodics since I was in 5th grade...
Until last week when I went to the local running shop and bought a pair of shoes that specifically had enough support... That being said... I NEVER wear my orthodics in my cycling shoes.. It seems to work exactly opposite for me... and in about 20 minutes of riding, my ankles ache and my calves start to cramp up... My cycling shoes are Sidi Dominator 5s (which have very little support) if that makes any difference to you. All I can say is, try it with, and try it without and then do what works for you...

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I wore custom orthotics in my running shoes. Cycling is different, you might not need them. I use over-the-counter foot supports in my cycling shoes, such as Superfeet (I like the blues). I have high arches and need something to push off against and a little support. The stock footbeds won't work for me..running is an impact sport, cycling is non-weight bearing. If you have a mechanical problem you might need custom orthotics. I would not spend the money on them unless you absolutely need them..

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
You can have custom orthotics made for cycling shoes. It requires a very specific orthotic and a reasonable cycling shoe (italian made are out). Flat feet in and of itself does not require orthotics, only if they cause you problems (neuroma, plantar fasciitis etc). A good sports medicine Podiatrist can help you, but better yet a CYCLING podiatrist. They dont list those in the yella pages so you would probably have to ask around.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I wear orthotics in all of my shoes, including my cycling shoes. I personnally notice a difference. But it depends on the type of shoe. I don't need them in my mountain bike shoes (Shimanno) but I do need them in my Sidi road shoes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. It sounds like it's a kinda person to person thing. I just got new ones for my running shoes ($320 OUCH!!!!) having flat feet sucks for a ton of reasons. I've been wearing them in my old running shoes I've been using for cycling lately. I guess I'll just have to see how things go when I'm trying on shoes and riding with them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.