Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone found a good OS (31.8) handlebar that don't taper to 26 or smaller after the clamp? I am looking for a new set of bars to replace my currently too wide ones. I have Bonty select bars now and like the large diameter bar. I have been looking around online at other bars and found that most taper a lot more after the clamp. Anyone know of any cheaper (~$50) aluminum bars that don't?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
If you are looking to increase the diamater of the bars for a more comfortable grip, perhaps you could try adding gel handlebar pads under the bar wrap, or double wrapping the bars with thicker tape. I did that myself from the brake levers on up, and find it to be much more comfortable with the larger diamater. But you won't find any bars made that way.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,348 Posts
danl1 said:
Not exactly what you are looking for, but perhaps even better:

Nice and meaty on the top. $44.99, too.
I use those bars on my ride. Veddy nice, cable groove underneath the wing, perfect for Campy cables. I didn't know you could still buy 'em.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
How about wrapping over an old tube?

Somebody else suggested wrapping over gel pads, which would work, but I don't like the soft feeling. I wrapped mine with cotton tape over an old tube (wrapped, not slipped over the bars like a sleeve, though that would work, too). I overlapped the tube slightly for a ridged surface that I like, but if you want a smoother finish, you could butt the edges. Hold it in place with something like masking tape until you apply the bar tape.

·
Registered
392 Posts
bdaghisallo1 said:
Check out the PRO Vibe 7s bars, both anatomic and round. They don't taper from 31.8 until the bar begins to curve as it gets towards the shifters. The Hushovd bars are the same as the Vibe 7s in shape terms.

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...Thor+H+Series&vendorCode=PRO&major=1&minor=15
I have the bar and stem combo on my bike. so far it's super nice, and cheap:thumbsup: Couple things:

it's not really 'round', at least to me. I'm used to shallow italian drop; this is much deeper and has a sort of anatomic shape. i like it though.

regarding the 31.8 tops, it's great overall. I have noticed that after long rides, oddly, my thumb jjoint is a little sore from holding on to more bar.

overall i give it a great review so far. super stiff!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.