Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, we're underway, and this is probably the worst opening number I remember in quite some time...

·
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Other thoughts...

Finally, a year in which I actually think that all of the Best Picture nominees were truly great movies and can't think of something that I think should have made the list, but didn't.

My personal favorite for just maximum viewing enjoyment/great epic movie was "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button." Didn't have an artsy bone in its body (if movies have bodies) and that probably dooms it from being a big award winner. But it was a good movie to get lost in for three hours.

Second favorite was probably The Reader. Thought provoking, moving in a variety of interesting ways, and a stunning performance by Kate Winslet (my runaway fave for Best Actress).

After that it gets tougher. Much to like about Slumdog Millionaire, but something wasn't a complete bull's eye for me, so my third fave was probably Frost/Nixon. One of those subtle talking head movies that I couldn't take my eyes off of.

So, the rest of my BP lineup would probably go #3, Frost/Nixon, #4 Slumdog Millionaire, #5, Milk.

Speaking of Milk, I love Sean Penn absolutely for Best Actor. Viola Davis (Doubt) for Supporting Actress, and since I didn't see the Dark Knight can't really offer an informed opinion about Best Supporting Actor.

Not that anyone asked my opinion, and not that it has any unique value (other than being mine).

·
Meow!
1,449 Posts
I had to turn the sound off during that song. It was just too god awful. Why do they even feel the need to sing at all?

·
hello
3,394 Posts
Slumdog and The Reader will split the Best Pic award this year. First time an award has been split.

·
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There have been some cute ones over the years... though probably the last was 15 years ago or so by Billy Crystal. Generally, lately, the opening number has been a weakness in what can be a great night of television ('ceptin' when they screw it up).

·
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
roadfix said:
Slumdog and The Reader will split the Best Pic award this year. First time an award has been split.

A fascinating theory... interesting if it unfolds. Slumdog had so much that I loved, but slightly too much fairy tale.

·
Meow!
1,449 Posts
Tilda Swinton looks like she's wearing a Snuggie. Not a good look.

·
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
kudos to Steve Martin and Tina Fey for funny funny intro on Best Screenplay...

·
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
does the theatre/set look really different this year? It seems structured to look small, intimate. Or something else that I can't put my finger on...

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
So there I was watching the NASCAR race and they were flashing up Academy Award results. I started thinking about the demographics and just had to laugh.

"Hey bubba, I hope that wrassling guy wins"

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
JayTee said:
Okay, we're underway, and this is probably the worst opening number I remember in quite some time...
I actually sort of enjoyed the opening number, though it was rather silly. But I kept hoping that Hugh Jackman would take his shirt off. He was quoted as saying things would be different this year and the Oscars would be done "nude and drunk, Australian style". No such luck.:(

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Was at an Oscar party

Which is the only way to watch the show. Some old friends, some new ones, lots of good food and plenty of wine. Besides, I won the pool.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
bigbill said:
"Hey bubba, I hope that wrassling guy wins"
But he didn't - it was that "commie ****" guy (to paraphrase Sean Penn in his acceptance speech). Definitely a different demographic.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts